Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

I’m just saying missions get a lot harder later. And yeah, it’s never easy when aliens die. :(

Because you see each individual alien, and they all have names and are, let’s face it, ALL DAMN ADORABLE, it hits ya.

So out of idle curiosity I fired up the alpha of Starpoint Gemini Warlords today. Does anyone know if controller/gamepad support is planned?

It’s Space Week at the Humble Store with oodles of discounts on space-themed games. The best deal appears to be Empyrion for 10 magic beans.

The day one of these Space Survival games a)comes out of early access, and b)comes out of early access with its shit together, will be a remarkable day indeed.

/me gives Space Engineers a grim look on my Steam list

Empyrion is way better than Space Engineers.

Isn’t it in there already?

I couldn’t find it under options:controls. BTW the localization is still pretty janky in spots. Instead of listing + and - as the default keys for certain functions is displays “add” and “subtract.”
On the other hand their English is way better than my nonexistent Croatian (is it Croatian?).

Oooh, looks like mining might be a pretty decent thing in that game. How harsh is the survival element (Astroneer is much more my speed than Don’t Starve).

Why can’t they just make a giant add-on to Startopia? I would pay money for that. Some station variety, more aliens, more buildings.

I betcha it’s a similar reason to why Cataclysm isn’t in the Homeworld Remastered pack. Code’s long been lost.

It’s a crying shame when that happens.

I mean, code also (often) rots. But the art assets wouldn’t have.

I’m not so sure. If I recall correctly, a developer put (spare) time and effort into the game to make sure it ran on modern systems and supported widescreen resolutions.

Looking for a space game I don’t think yet exists, but I figured this would be the place to check:

• single player
  • captain of a ship
  • deal with crew which handle various responsibilities (engineering, science, piloting, etc)
  • A hireable crew with skills/talents that can develop (think RPG-light like Starflight or even Star Wolves with its fighter pilots), personalities optional but preferred.
  • In-game trade economy (NOT in-app purchases/microtransactions) with upgradeable ship components/chassis
  • Ability to have more than one ship to manage, staff and come with you (“Chekov, Pavel. Rank: Admiral”)
  • Open-ended structure with missions, mercenary options, and faction/species relations.
  • Procedural map not needed, but might be a given based on overall design
  • Split between exploration/relations/combat missions

Any thoughts?

The closest thing I can think of are the X games.

I appreciate it, Brian. Ah, well - should any enterprising developer be in the mood, just know that you’ve at least got one buyer here ;)

Well, it’s not single player strictly (it can be played with bots, but it’s way better with friends), but this also sounds close-ish to what you’re looking for.

I’ll check it out, thanks!

From the ED 2.3 beta change log:

Exoplanet in 61 Virginis renamed to ‘Rubin’s Discovery’