Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Hah, I’d love to think that had something to do with me.

Interestingly I had an idea for this very same game…maybe there is a market. I thought it had to be only me that wanted to play something like this.

All of those bullet points plus the option to walk around my ship is basically my dream space game.

It’s also asking for an awful lot in one package, which is probably why nobody has ever made it.

One - of - us! One - of - us!

Yeah, good point. Maybe something like this will be more workable now that we’re in the age of 64-bit gaming. Still, that’s a heck of a lot to code. I had some ideas myself, but not the wherewithal to make it happen. I see some games trying facets here and there, but nothing that catches all of it.

If you give it a go, Spaced_Cowboy, at least now you have TWO sales taken care of already, lol.

Have you played Starsector (the artist formerly known as Starfarer)? It comes close to that feature set, although it’s brutally difficult in its current form.

I’ve looked at it, but given the not-quite-ready-for-release status, I’m holding off until I see it as a finished product. It does look quite interesting, however.

Good, I thought it was just me. I picked this game up last week and have been trying to make it as a smuggler but have been having zero success. With that said I really like the game so far.

Shallow Space was mentioned a few times in this thread, but I don’t think anyone’s actually said whether it’s good/interesting or not. I keep checking out the Steam store page every once in a while, and the last developer update paints a not-too-optimistic picture of what’s going on with the game (though it does feature the guarantee that the game will be finished in some fashion, at some point).

However, the game is fairly cheap, so if there’s already an interesting core game here, it might be worthwhile to take the plunge regardless. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Edit: oh yeah, there was also this post on the official forums that claimed that a modeller for the game was never paid for his services. Long story short: that thread turned into a bit of a fustercluck.

I want that game too Dan.

EEE OMG I’m so silly excited about this.

OMFG! Interstel!

SO GOOD.

Seems like the in-development Star Traders 2 ticks many of those boxes.

I backed them and things are progressing slowly but looking good. They are moving into Alpha soon (or have already done so). Graphics are shaping up to be a fair bit improved over their previous games.

@BrianRubin or anyone else - have you put much time into Avorion? If so was it lately and how have you liked it? It sounds pretty intriguing and cool.

I hope you request 3 1/4 floppies.

Damn it JP. Don’t you know I have a backlog? :)

I’ve gone to the store page for the game every day this week watching the positive reviews roll in. Quotes like this just drive my interest:

Elite dangerous meets Minecraft in a nutshell

I get it. But I just started playing Starbound. I also have Dig or Die, Astroneer and RimWorld. I can’t get another game like these. OTOH I have no willpower. And not to mention my ongoing underground cavern system in Minecraft. When will I find time for my ESO addiction?

Avorion is great. Seriously. Fun to play, don’t need to build ships if you don’t want to, an actual game beyond building if you do, really nice devs.

Hahahah, I actually had the dev email me the last version, 1.5b.

@jpinard

I’ll second this. As steam reviews truthfully it’s a very likeable game. First of all it’s
…great fun to build your ship (addictive if you’re that kind of person) - but it’s more than just toying with blocks, there’s also some serious space-game-physics-theory going on there which makes it a lot more satisfying to build a good ship. And a well built and configured ship (e.g. how you prioritize your ships systems in case of low energy) is key to how easily (or at all) you’ll manage combat.

Other very nice things I like so far (~10 hours in):

…right from the start you can build up a small fleet - at least the first thing I did was to make myself a little minig vessel. So while playing LEGO my other ship brought in the needed resources.
…you can zoom out to get a strategic view of your current sector; from there you can easily communicate whith the stations to see what they are good for (which crew they have, what the buy/sell, etc.).
…you’ll find upgrades which brings up new UI-elements with new information: a market view of your current sector, or better knowledge of what’s worthwhile in the galaxy sourrounding you.
…there is crew, which I find an interesting concept. It works like a rescource too but trainend crew also level up and you have to pay your crew from time to time, which brings in a welcomed need to acutally do something meaningful with your ship.
…there is a clear goal: get to the center of the galaxy. Building, fighting and planing skills are all relevant to how well and how fast you get there; you can just focus on a very powerful ship and go straight there or start making your own little empire, build your own stations, take your time, play it safe (my impression so far)
…LOOT. that good feeling when you see a nice weapon or upgrade floating in space that makes a lovely ‘plop’-sound when it ends up in your inventory
…and progress: it’s quite clear how to progress, how to advance: from iron to avorion and different tiers of items
…you have to be careful with your stuff: your ship will easily get destroyed and you can’t save. But you will keep your items and resources.

So far my random thoughts on why I like the game :)