Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Ha! I already did buy it!

I am currently stuck in the tutorial. I do what I am told to fire my side weapons. But cannot figure out how to get the ship to come out of the side view so I can fly forward again.

edit:
So I finally figured out that I can use the right mouse button to change the view back to the forward direction which is a zillion more times easier than what they first tell you to do using the keyboard commands.

I am hating the tutorial. They have you get blown up and say put your ship back together from a lot of little pieces. I think they should have a few basic pieces and lead you through building a basic ship instead of guessing what to do (I tried to do it twice and then the bad guys come back and my ship will not work, hahahaha, and they don’t kill me again; so I just sit there like I do in my computer chair all day long!).

So the early access game Everspace (which I have thanks to a gift from our own Brian Rubin–thanks again, Brian) just had a patch last night and among the changes are: “Replaced voice actor for protagonist”

I haven’t heard the new actor, but the guy they had was clearly trying to go for a Bruce Campbell-like delivery, aka what I like to call “Captain Squarejaw McWhiteguy,” so cheesy was the VA.

Oh no, I liked that actor! Ah well. The new patch also apparently adds derelict stations, which sounds neat!

Yeah, I kind of liked the cheesiness, but maybe the new guy does it even better? Here’s hoping. (Maybe they even got Bruce Campbell himself! I can dream…)

In other news, I’m super torn about whether to buy Distant Worlds Universe. I’m reading that on higher res screens you can’t even see the text properly.

Yeah, apparently the higher you go above 1920x1080, the harder the text gets to read.

FYI, just noticed that Daedalic says The Long Journey Home will be playable at Pax East. Anyone there? Apparently they are shooting for a release in April.

Had to explain what a BBS was to someone yesterday.
And during lunch today, had to explain about Gopher to someone…
What do they learn kids these days…

5.25" discs… that’s pretty newschool, I remember we raided a Xerox “storage” building that was semi-abandoned when I was a kid and got a stash of 8" floppies out of it. Think the capacity on those was 120K or thereabouts. Was nothing interesting on them (for us anyway) though, but we did find a tape of Iron Eagle 3 I think it was, still remember they called F-4s as MIGs in a scene, because the movie studio was so shit they couldn’t use any proper jet footage.

What’s the current best option for really good graphics and big space battles? Has anything superseded Sins of a Solar Empire or Gratuitous Space Battles 2?

Maybe Star Ruler 2?

So I went to see what Lightspeed Frontier was and the link I clicked added it to my cart. “I don’t want to do that. But I’ll check it out.”

I look at it and see it’s all “build your own ship from components.”

I remembered the 10s of hours I wasted on Cosmic Balance on the C64.

So I bought it. :)

Where’s our modern Cosmic Balance? Give me a nice simple game where your ship has X room for engines, shields, weapons, sensors, and power, and you distribute how you will. Then you go 1:1 vs another ship.

Kind of like Gratuitous Space Battles, but one ship vs one ship. And with an unlicensed but obvious Enterprise vs. Defiant scenario. :)

Our weed used to have seeds. We cleaned it on double albums. Albums. Music came on vinyl disks. Big ones. 12 inches. We played them on turntables. Turntables. Big spinning round table and an arm that… Aw fuck it.

Oh, the memories. Or more like the lack of memories… The Clash’s London Calling was a favored cleaner. But since this is the space thread we used Dark Side of the Moon, too.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

I ended up deciding against Distant Worlds Universe. While it looks like a deep and interesting game, it just seems like the kind of thing to which I could never devote the necessary time to do it justice. Just too many other shiny and more accessible things out there, between TV shows, games and movies. Not to mention that I’d like to get into the habit of reading actual books again.

Good call. DWU has distinct Dwarf Fortress syndrome.

Oh it does not. I’ve tried playing Dwarf Fortress.

I’m seeing Ceres on sale for $5 at a number of sites. Worth it?

I’d say so, it’s like a mix of Starfleet Command and Homeworld. Very tactical. It was buggy at launch but the developer has been patching the everloving fuck out of it (hell, most recent was a couple of weeks ago). I’d say if you like Star Wolves or Homeworld or Starfleet Command, this is a solid mix of elements of them all.

This may sound like shilling, and if it does I apologize, but I REALLY want this Kickstarter to succeed this time.

The Starfighter, Inc folks have launched another Kickstater, please help me make this one successful. I mean David Wessman AND Jack Mamais? Awesome guys making an awesome game.

Thanks!

How much did they manage to raise the last time? And I can’t remember now–do we get our pledge back if the target amount isn’t raised by the deadline?

Also, gotta say, I’m a little doubtful about how fun a space game with no FTL drive could be. Hope they have time compression at least.

They got pretty close if I recall correctly, but sadly didn’t get over the hump. They’ve continued to work on it though. IIRC, in talking to them it sounds like a mission-based corporate war with a dynamic map. It sounds a lot more fun than simple PVP arena crap.