Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

I really liked Warmada. It’d be a shame if it was abandoned.

Thanks for following the curator page y’all.

Good show on Remnants of the Precusors - playing the Alpha now and I’m surprised how polished and far along it is.

Thanks for listening! Yeah, it is great.

The things I want in a space game:

• Housing
  • Exploration
  • Lore

The things I am least interested in a space game:

• Space combat
  • Looking at gass clouds

Really?

I guess for me, it’s:

• Space Combat
  • Exploration
  • Lore
  • Making money via trading, bounties, etc.
  • Looking at Gas clouds
  • Characters

Not interested in:

• Housing
  • Playing with other people (multiplayer)
  • Using the mouse to control a space game

Edit: See, I could have used the Scanners head explode gif, but since this is the Space Game thread I used an alien. Because I respect @BrianRubin.

Have you played Noctis?

Rock, Starflight 2 might be the best thing for ya.

I want a game like the X-3 but with a competent AI.

Have you played Unending Galaxy?

I totally forgot about that one. I think i tried the free version a long time ago but the 2d scared me away (silly i know) might give it a try again now.

I find it more appealing because it’s 2D my own self, but yeah, YMMV.

I mostly agree. In space games I want to explore and build stuff. I really have zero interest in combat. Ideally there are many civilizations / factions to interact with.

Unfortunately, it seems that combat is king in games. I do not mind a small side-dish of combat in space games, but right now its the main course.

Its also probably why games like Minecraft, and survival games are beginning to gain popularity - You are not alone in wanting less combat more exploration, building, and so on. Its just a hell of a lot easier to make things to shoot, than interesting places to visit.

I’d prefer more Star Trek like combat, where lock on and fire, is the way of the pew pew.

I’m not opposed to space sims that don’t focus on the combat either. But when combat does happen, it’s much better for the game if that combat is interesting and fun. If it’s not, then even if it’s only 30% of the game, that’s 30% of the game that’s going to suck.

I guess in a game like X: Beyond the Frontier, I didn’t mind that combat sucked because it was such a tiny portion of the game. But that’s really rare. More often what you see is, it’s a large portion of the game, and yet it sucks. Like in No Man’s Sky for instance. Combat on the ground and in space both kind of sucked, and you can play to try to avoid, but it will inevitably happen, and then you’re thinking “boy I wish they had just spent a tad bit of time to make this part even the list bit fun”.

Thinking about it even more, Star Trek Online has some of the most enjoyable space combat I think I’ve ever encountered.

What I want to do is go out there and explore. I want to go far into the dark and find a nice solar system. I want find a planet, land on it and explore it. I then may want to build a base there, and eventually a colony that produces, from goods and services to a military force. While that is going on, I want to explore other worlds and start other colonies and form a small empire.

Now unlike a normal 4x, there is now ‘win’ condition. You just interact with other empires out there. Perhaps you trade, perhaps there is war after all. Perhaps some big alien menace from another galaxy invades, or perhaps you empire just co-exists peacefully with everyone else. A grand story that slowly unfolds would be the icing on the cake.

That description reminded me of an old game, you arrived in a seed ship to a solar system and had to choose a planet to settle, develop a colony and research while trying to figure out what happened to the other seed ships.

Then aliens attack at some point.

Can’t remember the name of it.

Sounds like Alien Legacy or Reunion.

Wow, I just googled them. Those some OLD games. Any of them really good?