Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

You may notice it’s offered as a bundle - you actually get both for the price of one (regardless of which link you choose).

Yeah, that’s what I was gonna say. You don’t outright buy the old one. You get the new one and I guess they’re also giving you the old one, which is cool.

IIRC correctly, the older version is both slower and tougher, with more micromanagement. I speculate that the devs continue to offer the old version for the benefit of the hardcore Halcyon grognards who consider the new version too easy and too streamlined. Personally, I find the new version much better. YMMV.

So I’ve been enjoying Star Fleet Armada: Rogue Adventures. The twitchy mini-games wouldn’t normally be my cup of tea, but they’re short and not impossible, so I’m still hanging in there. I like the larger goals of upgrading and expanding my fleet, improving my tech, and attacking my enemy within a defined period of time.

Earlier in the thread I read that people say you can finish a game in 30 hours. Well, I’m 24 hours in, and I’m maybe 20% of the way done with my first game, lol. I’m pokey, though. And I go AFK sometimes, padding my time /played.

Anyway, I like it. I notice Tom posted some questions of the devs earlier. Did he ever post a review?

Don’t know, but he did stream it.

I was playing Star Fleet Armada: Rogue Adventures (please tell me I can type SFARA) last night. The tutorial kept bugging out on me unfortunately, in both cases the “NEXT” box was being overridden by a mouse-over object on the map underneath it. Anyway, who needs tutorials, right? I got this!

Yeah, I had that problem too. I managed to work around it by switching to a different screen, like the edit fleet screen, or the system screen (S), or some other screen. At least I think that’s what I did, because I did manage to finish the tutorial despite those headaches.

The manual is pretty good, but it still left me with a few questions, so feel free to ask. I don’t pretend to be an expert, but after 30 hours now, I sorta kinda have the hang of it. It’s fun. Not sure how much longer it will grab me, but I’m still enjoying it and will play again tomorrow.

I’ve been doing ok, explored a few stars and upgraded a couple of my fleet into medium vessels. Then I ran into a small group of pirates (two battlecruisers and a fighter carrier) and it didn’t go well. At all. In fact they wiped me out without so much as me spilling their tea. Hmmm. I guess the mantra is “stay the hell away from pirates”. I probably died from complete incompetence though, they seemed to be firing about three times faster than I was getting any of my ship abilities off. Let’s try this again…

So X: Rebirth VR is out which I probably wont pick up, however my question is if I have X:Terran conflict and X:Reunion is X: Rebirth (non VR) worth getting?

Rebirth is kind of a different animal than TC and R. If you REALLY love the X universe, it’s worth it. I actually enjoyed Rebirth once they patched the hell out of it. I actually found it the most accessible since XTension.

Cool thanks! Bought. Its $13 on GOG right now for the complete version if anyone else is interested.

Yay, happy to help. It still has some oddities (bumping around inside the highways is HILARIOUS) but it’s become a solid open space trading game thing.

Good enough for me man! Cheers!

I will second this comment. First time it happened to me, I was a little panicky. Then I started giggling.

Distant Worlds: Universe on sale at gog for $19.79 (looks like it just changed, was showing 10.99) right now.

Yeah, I totally quintuple dipped.

I wish I had the time and the patience for something like Distant Worlds, but I just don’t, alas.

I wish I had the eyes to read such tiny in game fonts, but I just don’t, alas. I reinstalled it yesterday with new found determination to learn this game, but groaned at inability to read stuff on the screen.

I still wish to get around to it, since it’s such a unique beast… OTOH, since it’s such a unique beast, I’d have to really focus on learning and playing it to get it, which isn’t something that I had much will for in the last couple of years (which is when I learned enough about what it was - and it became cheap enough for my small wallet).

Yeah, I’ve owned the game for years and I love it. I badly want to play it again right now but every time I played it in the past I eventually gave it up because of the tiny fonts. It’s been such a universal complaint that I’m pretty sure the sequel will have scalable fonts.