Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Heh. My friends and I used to smoke weed. A lot of weed. And eventually we’d have the discussion, what are we gonna eat? Sometime it was Blimpies. Remember them? We’d get a full sandwich each. I liked tuna. We’d tear them up. Then Scott, the leader, would bring us back to the car. Yes we drove high. I believe the statue [sic] of limitations was different then. :) Then we’d go to White Castle in Queens. About a dozen burgers each. Then we’d smoke some hash. Time to hit Chinatown for steamed pork buns.

Eventually we’d hit a deli for rum raisin icecream and Boston cream pie.

Wait. What was the subject?

LOL, stoner…

Once we couldn’t find anyplace open so we retreated to one guy’s house and raided his kitchen. I found a jar of Ragu pasta sauce and a box of Most cereal, mixed together portions of each and microwaved it so it congealed. Great solution to the munchies.

@BrianRubin thoughts:

Freespace 2 at the number 1 spot means I can still take them seriously. Elite better than TIE Fighter, though? Naw man…

1. Freespace 2
  2. Kerbal Space Program
  3. Elite: Dangerous
  4. Star Wars: TIE Fighter
  5. FTL
  6. Mass Effect 2
  7. Distant Worlds Universe
  8. X3: Albion Prelude
  9. Sins of a Solar Empire
  10. Freelancer
  11. Stellaris
  12. Rebel Galaxy
  13. Descent
  14. Star Trek Bridge Commander
  15. Independence War
  16. Startopia
  17. Evochron Legacy
  18. HardWar
  19. Tachyon: The Fringe
  20. Wing Commander 4

Not a terrible list, I’d say. But it’s far from good. How is Bridge Commander in there when the much better Klingon Academy isn’t? Where is I-War 2? And for crying out loud, putting Stellaris in there and not Sword of the Stars Prime is probably some kind of space war crime or something.

That said, I’ve seen worst lists, so I give it a pinkies up.

Honestly surprised to see FTL that high up.

Yup. My personal choice would be Space Rangers 2/HD in place of FTL, but that’s me.

This list rates number 12 on the best list of “best space games on PC Lists” list.

Barada Nikto, my friend. ;)

I’m exactly with you on all points. Allll of them.

@BrianRubin sorry if you have approached this subject before but what is the best Space 4X released in the last 2 years and based on your experience which has the most promise of the ones you have tried in early access?

Hey so…let me be clear about what you’re asking? You’re asking which early access 4X I feel has the most promise, first? Then secondly, which in the last two years is the best released 4X?

I think we’re going to need you to quantify all of your experiences into a database so we can search for recommendations using the exact parameters we want.

That’s right, if I can add in personally that I am a little bit of a graphics snob, so something that looks very ASCII would be a big turn off for me.

See? Lots and lots of metadata too.

:P

K, if I have to stick with the last two years, first off, then Stars in Shadow or Galactic Civilizations III would be my suggestions.

“But what about Stellaris?” I hear some of you ask. “But I’ve already played Distant Worlds.” I answer.

As for your second query, the EA 4X games I feel have the most potential right now are Predestination and Alliance of the Sacred Suns. Predestination is far prettier though.

Yessir, turning myself into an excel spreadsheet, sir!

I went to get a gif to reply to your soldier-y reference and ended up with this and I can’t not post it:

This GIF belongs in Tom’s review of 2017 thread.

What’s that from?