Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Via internet sleuthing I discovered it is from Hot Shots 2.

Here is the video (in French, but not much audio)

Man, I need to see Hot Shots 2 soon, been ages. That’s great.

Is that Ryan Styles?

Indeed. Ryan Stiles.

Dear god!

I remember him from the UK version of “whose line is it anyway”, he’s a funny guy!

Wow, he totally looks at the camera for a second.

It’s fun to go back and watch Airplane!, Top Secret!, Hot Shots!, and Police Squad!. Love that type of humor.

I’ve watched Airplane and Police Squad recently, but I need to watch Top Secret and Hot Shots again, been too long.

Also, if y’all like that kinda humor, watch Angie Tribeca. It’s a real love letter to Police Squad and such.

Was coming to say that!

I agree. Completely off the wall silly.

Top Secret! was awesome. Somehow it conflates East Germany with Nazi Germany and as a result, suddenly there are French Resistance fighters running around, with names like Tête-à-tête, Déja-vu, Mis-en-scène, and who can forget Chocolate Mousse?

One of the best gags is where Val Kilmer’s character has the standard academic nightmare of being gone from school all term and suddenly having to take the final exam or whatever, and when he wakes up he’s being beaten by the Nazi guards, and says “Oh thank God, it was just a dream!”

Another of my faves: when the Germans bust into the French Resistance fighters’ hideout, and the two groups are locked in melee combat, suddenly Chocolate Mousse opens up indiscriminately with his Sten Gun and manages to shoot only the German soldiers.

Alliance of the Sacred Suns is on Itch-io now

They are shooting for a Q1 2019 release, so early days still. However, it is only $7.99 now, and they are talking $29.99 at release.

I’ve bought both of these and have been playing their alpha/beta. Of the two I think AotSS has the greatest potential to be another break out indie hit in the vein of something like RimWorld. Even at the very basic stage it is at now, there is something compelling about interacting with the different personalities in the game.

Agreed, I think it’s really gonna be something special.

This is a extremely strong endorsement: a concept I’m interested in has the potential of one of my favorite games in memory. Really looking forward to this progressing a bit further before diving in!

I agree. Elegant games are most often the best. I still am not changing my opinion yet, though.

I listened to most of SGJ on the way to work this morning. I think I figured it out:

Okay, so I was…12, soon to be 13 when Master of Orion 1 came out (which I played a lot of). When Master of Orion 2 dropped, I conscripted my younger brother and sister into playing hot seat games which we did ad nauseam. It was great, though. Therefore, I am likely dealing with a healthy dose of subjectivism. It goes a little deeper, though…

I like games where there is optional micro. There is an obscure series of SNES titles in the “god game” vein (too lazy to research it right now) where you play as a deity that has to gain worshippers, and the more worshippers you have the more powerful you become and are able to fight off threats better… but you also are able to transmit this ball of energy down to the surface, animate this statue, and now that statue is your “hero” slashing monsters with a sword in a 2D platformer.

It was very simplistic… but I think my ideal game would be that, as a 4X. Master of Orion 2 actually sort of gets close to this, because you can let battles auto-resolve, but you can also command a single ship if you want and have it do crazy maneuvers throughout. Some don’t like that, I get it; 16 year old me thought it was the best. You have your colonists organized into different castes; I get how that can grow somewhat tiresome across large civilizations, but it makes the early game much more interesting.

What I am really getting at is that I like to be able to change my perspective of scale as a player. I think this is really hard to pull off, and while some games go for this as an aesthetic no game has really managed to do it at the scale I hope is one day possible. MoO2 is close, as is Dwarf Fortress (good luck playing that game, though). I want to be able to just sit back and let civilization unwind on its own, or if I notice something interesting going on I want to be able to “zoom in” and take control of a hero, ship, whatever, and do some crazy cartwheels with him/her/it.

The danger of course is that the game just gets so utterly complex that either the CPU can’t handle it or it grows into a UI nightmare. MoO2 strikes a nice balance though, although I totally get what you are saying about MoO1.

There is another really obscure but very simple 4x game that came out for the Mac in the late 90’s I wish I could remember the title of. It was beyond simple, but you could send fleets to other stars, take them over and have them begin producing additional fleets, there were four or five different races with various bonuses (which you could edit at the beginning), diplomacy, and it was turn-based. It was basically MoO1, but even simpler. It’s not on the 4X Wikipedia article (I checked). I believe it was freeware, and definitely indie. It was fun, though.

Thank you so much for listening!

Yeah, two points here I agree with so much. First those battles. I used to put everything on auto-resolve at first, but once I discovered that all the various technologies you researched made such a big difference on how the battles played out, I was completely hooked on the combat. Mass drivers damage doesn’t go down over distance like the laser does? So you can start plunking away at the enemy even from far away? Nice! So many little things like that made a big difference in the combat. And you could even get the AI to take over, and the AI was actually really good.

The other thing about the early game being more interesting: that’s so much more important to me. Don’t get me wrong, the late game getting bogged down is a concern, but that can be overcome by making your own rules about how much you interfere and how much is pretty much on autopilot. But the early game? Man, the early game’s interesting decisions is the most important element in a 4x for me. Turning that one guy into a scientists or a worker, doing that sort of tinkering in the early game makes for a game that’s so much more interesting.

Act Raiser, and the rest of Quintet’s catalog, are cult classics now, FYI.

Yeah, he/she was describing this obscure game and I thought, “It’s ActRaiser. That’s not obscure at all!” :P