Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Helium Rain? I admit I havent got that far in it but I was playing pure trader when I was. The lore was pretty bad ass too.

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, the Star Trek adventure games I break out at least once a year. Final Unity (the TNG one) is also really good.

Good call on Helium Rain. It DOES have combat, but it’s a while before you can even think of engaging in it.

This is a great game, but if I recall, it lacks the spaceship combat parts of its predecessors.

No, it has space combat, complete with wildly spinning Enterprise-D and Romulan warbirds! Frankly, it can look rather ridiculous. Fortunately, you can “delegate” combat and then you don’t have to worry about it.

To be honest, I always delegate; I also pick the difficulty in Judgment Rites that allows you to skip all combat (which was no doubt an acknowledgement on the part of the developers that space combat in 25th Anniversary was… an acquired taste, shall we say. I much preferred the adventure elements, the puzzles, the stories.

Wow, it must’ve been terrible because I’ve completely forgotten about it.

It is! (Rest of the game’s pretty great, tho.)

Yeah, I remember enjoying the adventure game parts fairly well, even though I wasn’t into adventure games any longer.

I’m listening to some older SGJ podcasts (you’ve been doing these for a long time) and just listened to this one on elite clones from 2014 https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/featured/sgj-podcast-71-elite-alternatives-space-trading/. Is there an updated list on what’s come out in the last 4 years?

Thank you for listening! There likely are a lot more to talk about since 2014. What are you looking for?

I’m really just after something with decent content that has actual stuff to explore (other than Evochron). Something like a Paragon that was actually finished.

Ohhhh, first person in-cockpit? Those are far harder to come by these days. Evochron Legacy is still the champ in my eyes, and you’d have to go back to Jumpgate for something even markedly close.

Yeah, Helium Rain is a great option. In theory, Objects in Space could be too - even with the pirates and all, running away is often a choice.

I think Star Traders: Frontiers could also be a nice option. Keeping to the core systems and carrying some bribe money can probably help in avoiding combat, but I’m still early in the game, so I’m not sure how well that would work in practice.

Yeah, Helium Rain might be the best option once it hits 1.0, but since it’s still in early access I kinda hesitate to recommend it, despite my unabashed love for it.

Hey Brian, do you have any inside skinny on when Void Destroyed 2 is supposed to come out properly (1.0)? Just curious.

Sadly I don’t. Even with having a new baby though, he’s still plugging away at it. I’m guessing late this year/early next.

So you guys. New Starflight. Hopefully. Can’t say more right now.

I can. Starflight 3: Universe. The original developer is involved. Here’s the trailer:

Looks cool.

Oh my dear goodness would you look at that! My 13-year-old self would stay up many a late night playing this Starflight with my next-door buddies. What a time to be alive!