Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Space hobos riding the solar rails between worlds?

Hey @BrianRubin, do you perchance know what’s going on with Distant Worlds 2? When was the last time you talked to Erik over at Matrix about it? It’s been years since they said they were working on it.

Speaking of years, I keep holding out for an announcement of Sins of Solar Empire 2, sequel to my favorite space RTS of all time.

I know it’s being worked on and that’s all. Been ages since I spoke to Erik, but I do talk to their PR folks when a space game comes out, like BSG Deadlock.

This is what Erik posted in September:

"Hi everyone,

The game is coming together, but there is always a lot more to do. We are still working daily on development, art, design and data together with our artists and supertesters and the trials and tribulations of life occasionally knock us for a loop, but forward progress this year has been truly excellent. I have learned not to give estimates, but I am happy with the team we have and the progress we are making. We have been staying close to the latest milestone schedule we set for ourselves earlier this year and I expect wider testing will begin in the coming months. When we have more complete art in the game and we’ve made it through the first wave of testing, I expect we’ll have a lot more to share with you all. "

Beautiful.

Hey, thanks for sharing that. It’s still sounds quite a ways off. Hopefully by this time next year we’ll know more.

I am loving this. Warning, I have VERY indie tastes so do not expect a good GUI here, it even crashes and seems held together with string and spit.

However what it does do is make a coherent game about being a professional astronomer, publishing papers studying new objects.

Brilliant stuff if you have tastes like mine.

playthrough

I’m with you when it comes to unique indie titles. I’ll be checking out that video. Thanks fro the heads up.

[edit] I don’t think I like those mini-games. Makes the whole thing seem a bit, err, gamey.

Yeah they are freaky. A few mini games was unexpected. Somehow it works for me though. Not sure why. But they are unskippable so yeah of thats a killer then I would pass for sure.

I just upgraded my new scope to a 10m :)

Yes, I very much want that, yes yes.

But Redout is fantastic.

Hmmm --why is this thread not more active lately? It’s been one of my favorites for years!

So I’ve been playing a lotta Rebel Galaxy last few days. I find that I like the trading part and the money part but less so the annoying sometimes combat part. It isn’t bad but…

Brian or anyone: What is a good space trading game that let’s you run the star lanes making some cash but ALSO has pirates and combat etc?

And what’s going on with this thread?

Ps I bought Elite Dangerous – good god it was 7.94 on the steam sale…

Heya! I have been missing the thread as well.

I have been loving X4, which coincidentally is my suggestion for your question :)

Brian or anyone: What is a good space trading game that let’s you run the star lanes making some cash but ALSO has pirates and combat etc?

But Elite Dangerous does this as well albiet in a very different way.

I think we’ve been talking in game-specific threads, like for Rebel Galaxy or X4. It’s been a busy time for space games though. Starcom Nexus came out recently, which is amazing, while Ancient Frontier: Steel Shadow also came out and it isn’t as good.

I also don’t want to spam the thread.

But it’s like, you know, kinda your thread to spam

But it’s not my forum.

Good heavens on earth! Brian we need you to spam super space games! Here!~

Btw does Rebel Galaxy get super good later? I like it in the first system but… I’d rather play more trader and less combat.

I’m told it is great later but I rarely finish games.

So guys. If you’d like me to post stuff here, what would you like? I do write these digests on my blog with news and such. Would you like me to share those, for example?

The game tends to get more combat-heavy as you progress. I can’t get much more specific without spoiling the game, but the player will eventually hit critical mass in terms of their available credit pool, and then nearly any purchase becomes trivial (and negates the importance of trade). The plot, however, has you fighting very frequently.