Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Just found the Ancient Structures. Was hooked.
And when I killed the ancient blob the second time, I flew right into the blackhole it created arrrrrrg! Hah fun.

If you didn’t back it, pick it up. So far, 3 hours in, and I’m really liking it. The controls take some getting use to, but damn, it’s cool.

One cool thing is that you can create your own captain, and randomly get 4 perks/flaws. It’s easy to cycle through, and I ended up with 0 flaws, but only one none neutral perk - Robotic Reload. On the other hand, my captain prefers firing fast over being precise, prefers firing lower damage attacks that cost less energy, and prefer missiles over lasers. So, I got myself a pretty cool missile boat to start of the game.

There are a few thing I don’ like.

First is the prologue doesn’t matter. This is a minor spoiler, but you can’t change the outcome, and it doesn’t look like you get to keep anything you find, so just play through it once.

Second, it’s hard to get use to the fact that the mouse doesn’t control movement at all and speed is controlled by the scroll wheel (which is fine, but mine is acting up). Some of the controls are spread around keyboard and are hard to get to.

Third - I’m not sure what missions I can win and which I can’t. I just completed a mission that I thought I could win, but then it said I had to retreat. Was that scripted, or could I have done better? Also, some of the outcomes of missions are really random. In one false start, I let the crew do their own things during down time (I figured that would be best after a month on the ship together). Suddenly, I’m cold, and the crew gains 15% less XP. What??? I think I would prefer all perks to be neutral. A mix of positive and negative at the same time.

Anyway, it’s a lot of fun, and I’m enjoying playing with a guided missiles. Just launch them all, and they will follow your mouse cursor until they hit the target. And when the target is destroyed, just send them to the next one. It reminds me of the weapons used in Stargate by the ancients, with the missiles flowing around from one target to the next (and hopefully not hitting your allies),

This game might deserve it’s on thread.

This is out of EA today y’all, and is pretty fun.

Trying to get back into the swing of things after last week’s tragedy. Should be back on the horse next week. I hope.

Tragedy?

My kitty passed away last week.

I didn’t know. So sorry for your loss.

Thank you. SGJ has been on hold since it happened. Just barely able to hold it together.

No need to push, Brian. We all heal at our own pace, in our own way.

Sorry man (hugs).

Thanks guys. SGJ gives me a shitton of joy – and right now I need joy – so I’m gonna dive back in soon, I just need time.

Very sorry to hear about your cat Brian. My sympathies.

I lost my big kitty Godzilla last December, but my mourning was cut short by having a heart attack a few days later, so, rough as it may seem now, remember it could be much worse.

Oh geezus dude, I am so sorry. You’re okay now though, right?

I’m really sorry to hear that, Brian. I hope you had a lot of good years together. I had a little blue Burmese cat that I loved more than any other pet I’ve ever had. He died suddenly from a bout of pancreatitis and was only 3 years old. It absolutely wrecked me. It’s been 14 years and it still bothers me. It’s a tough thing to go through as any death in the family is, but hang in there.

She was my first cat:

This was my eulogy:

Last night, when picking up Murphy, I noticed some wetness on her underside. We determined that this was eventually a mix of blood and urine. We gave her a sedative to help her sleep through the night, and took her to the vet this morning.

After leaving her at the vet for a while, Abby called to give me the worst news: She had a tumor in her bladder, and she’d tried to pee so hard that it ruptured her bladder.

I drove back to the vet to be with her in her final moments, something I may never fully recover from.

Murphy was my first cat, and my best cat. Everyone who met her loved her, and some even “threatened” to steal her. During the darkest days of my therapy, a decade ago, she was the one who was there for me after every session.

I hope we gave you as good a life as you gave us, Murphy, and may your afterlife be filled with all the heating pads and treats you could ever want. Rest in peace, my little angel, and thank you for being so wonderful.

RIP Murphy, 12/10/2003 - 5/30/2019. Fuck cancer.

On a lot of medication now, but doing fairly well. :)

Just hope you get to feeling like yourself soon. It’s always tough when the bill for all the joy our pets give us comes due.

Edit: Awww, she was adorable. So sorry man.

Similar to how my, likewise, first and best cat Isis passed a couple years ago, except it was stomach cancer and she lingered for a while. :(

If you feel like some nice, relaxing coop to get your mind off things feel free to hit me up on Steam, even if I’m not online.

“For always when they go from us, out through the chink in that door through which there is no returning, we are forced against our will to recognize: There can never be another . Never another just like that.”
John Moore

“Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our lives. Yet, if they find warmth therein, who would begrudge them those years that they have so guarded? And whatever they take, be sure they have deserved.”
John Galsworthy
"Memories"

Murphy looks like a sweetheart. The great curse of loving our pets is that we almost always outlive them.

And yeah, fuck cancer.

Far out! I’m running out of space to list all these outer space games with out in their name without getting it all out of sorts.

Outer Wilds - is an open world space exploration game where you’re stuck in a timeloop.

Outer Worlds – is a role-playing video game developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

Outward – is an open-world fantasy role-playing game.

Outriders - a new sci-fi game by Square Enix.

Sorry for your loss @BrianRubin. That sucks.

I look forward to the colony-builder-in-space, Outhouse