Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

" Reviewing the original DOS version, a critic for Next Generation remarked that Star Crusader is lacking in originality, but praised it for having gameplay with all the depth of Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger and considerably less “fluff”, thus making the game accessible to the many players who either do not have PCs powerful enough to run Wing Commander III or simply have no interest in that game’s cinematic elements."

Damn, but I love the fluff.

Star Crusader is better than Wing Commander 3, and on par with TIE Fighter.

Yeah, I said it. It’s that good.

Lol no

Yes, sir. Yes.

My friends, welcome to another very busy week of space gaming. This week, our game of the week is the new Resurrection DLC pack for Battlestar Galactica Deadlock, in which you’re put in the CiC of Galactica herself. As always, it’s a tense war, but being in a familiar settings lessens the sting somewhat. BSG: Deadlock has a lot of wonderful updates too, such as multi-select, so it’s good to return to it.

This month also marks the twentieth anniversary of Freespace 2, and we’re celebrating by having a new video covering a new mod EVERY DAY of the month (you can see the list here). This will culminate on the 30th – Freespace 2’s actual birthday – with an all-day stream in which I plow through the entire vanilla campaign! First up is mod/campaign, The Aftermath Reboot as well as some missions from the Best of FS1 Collection.

Moving on from pre-recorded content, here’s this week’s streaming schedule (please remember all times are Pacific):

• Monday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Tachyon: The Fringe stream.
  • Tuesday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Forza Horizon 3 stream. 5:00 PM - A discussion on Games as a Service, or GAAS, for the podcast.
  • Wednesday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Missionforce: Cyberstorm stream.
  • Thursday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Warhammer 40,000: Gladius stream. 5:00 PM, Deep Rock Galactic LAN Party broadcast.
  • Friday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Sunless Skies stream.

You can see all of our planned upcoming streams and events on our calendar, as always!

You can watch any of these streams on Twitch, YouTube, Mixer and Steam.

That should do it for this week y’all. Thanks so much for being amazing, and I hope to see you in the streams or in the comments! Have a great week!

So Mr. @BrianRubin , have you heard of or tried the demo of this?

Going by description and animated gifs only, it sounds pretty intriguing.

Last time I played it was balls hard. Waiting for 1.0 to dive back in.

I’m not Brian but I have played around with the demo and I like what I see very much.

It has the FTL being pursued by bad guys mechanic, but there is much more to the story with a mystery to solve, away teams for surface exploration and recovery, and pausable real time space combat. Don’t know how repetitive the encounters will be from sector to sector but it looks promising. And tense. And kind of eerie.

You play a clone of an admiral and it looks like you will die (at least I probably will and often) and get reborn as a new clone but I don’t know if you retain memories from past clones.

There is lots of text to read and the ‘voice acting’ reminds me of the robot gibberish from Steamworld Heist.

I will probably get it.

Sweet! I’ll wishlist it because it does sound very interesting. Thanks for the feedback!

My friends, welcome to another really busy week of space gaming! This week, we’ll plow through more of the campaign in the original Descent: Freespace – using the FSPort from the Freespace Open Project – in the hopes of finishing the campaign, and the Silent Threat (Reborn) expansion before we dive into the retail Freespace 2 campaign on September 30th. I forgot just how dark this campaign can get.

This week also continues our month-long celebration of Freespace 2, starting with Derelict and The Deuterium Connection, plus further this week we’ll see Diaspora, Dimensional Eclipse and more!

Moving on from pre-recorded content, here’s this week’s streaming schedule (please remember all times are Pacific):

• Monday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Tachyon: The Fringe stream.
  • Tuesday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Far Cry 2 stream. 5:00 PM - A discussion about sequels we wish we’d see, for the podcast.
  • Wednesday - 12:00 PM-4:00 PM, Ashes of Oahu stream (due to an unmissable engagement in the morning).
  • Thursday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Far Cry 5 stream. 5:00 PM, Geneshift LAN Party broadcast.
  • Friday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Sunless Skies stream.
  • I’m also enamored with Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville, so I’ll likely do an impromptu stream of that somewhere along the way. [/list]

You can see all of our planned upcoming streams and events on our calendar, as always!

You can watch any of these streams on Twitch, YouTube, Mixer and Steam.

Finally, in my endeavor to become fully self-employed so I can work on Space Game Junkie more often, I’m launching a new SEO and marketing consulting business today, with the hopes of helping independent game developers (or anyone really) get a better handle on their marketing for an affordable price. If you know someone who could use this service, please let them know, and thank you.

That should do it for this week y’all. Thanks so much for being so damned wonderful, and I hope to see you in the streams or in the comments! Have a great week!

Agreed.

On my last failed run I was in the starting sector second system and lost 11 of my 16 commandos, four of which were captured and turned into sex slaves?! and then my battleship got blown up in an encounter.

Hahahaha yeah, sounds about right.

Damn, I never heard of Star Crusader until this post. It was so easy to miss things back then, since I didn’t get game knowledge from the internet yet.

Gameplay looks pretty bad nowadays, looks like, so I think I missed my window:

Wow, that looks incredible. It’s still got the old school graphics, but with updated smooth feel to the gameplay, hopefully. Which is what would be missing from something like Star Crusader if you played it today.

Star Crusader is amazing dude. You okay space Romans trying to conquer an new area of space, but the aliens are mounting a resistance. Eventually you can join the resistance, or not. It’s got so much content, and amazing missions like stealth missions. It’s so great.

OK but on the other hand… it’s very, very janky – even for 1994 tech. The systems may be advanced, but the feel IMO is worse than original Wing Commander.

I don’t know, that youtube video makes it look really rough. The combat sequences look really low frame rate and not smooth at all. It’s going to be a tough ask after playing a modern game like Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and Freespace 2, which are so smooth and higher frame rate in comparison.

Shortest Trip to Earth 25% off at Humble. Worth a buy?

Freakin’ schweet! Alas I’ll only be able to watch live for a tiny bit but glad you’re continuing the series (although I totally understand that for FT streamers/YT content producers the pressure is always to do videos on the New Hotness).

I do try to do that a bit here and there, but wow I love doing the variety I’ve been doing.

I have it but it didn’t grab me as FTL did. It’s weird but the feeling is that all the additions and design changes to the FTL formulae only added to a sense of busy-work without a corresponding increase in enjoyment.