Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

I have those books! Remember when there were manuals for games? :)

Indeed.

I’m itching for a decent modern spaceflight game… most interested in something sandboxy but I don’t mind a story line if it’s not on rails. I’d prefer something first person, but third is OK as long as it’s not on a plane. Trading, exploration are great; I don’t mind combat but want something that’s not going to have me on edge 100% of the time. Single player, please.

Looking at Steam, I have the following possibilities in mind:

• Everspace
  • Starpoint Gemini Warlords
  • Evochron Legacy
  • Between the Stars
  • Spacebourne
  • Subdivision Infinity DX
  • Hypergate

I know it’s a wide selection, but my criteria are fairly loose. I’m just looking for something pretty and engaging. Great use of sound is a major plus. Are any of these standouts above the others, or conversely garbage that I should totally avoid?

Thanks!

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is really good. It’s Privateer reborn, if you’re familiar with that game. The storyline is on rails, but you don’t have to follow it. You can just flying around the sector in first person and pickup missions and pickup cargo and make money that way, and improve your ship, buy new ships, etc. It’s really wonderful.

It’s only on Epic Game Store for a year. If you’re tied to waiting for it on Steam, it should get there August of next year.

Out of that list, you should look into:

• Evochron
  • Spacebourne
  • SPG Warlords

And yeah, also consider Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Now all we need is a GOG release of the full DiD catalogue.

Oh God yes please.

Cross posting from the little indie thread, because its a space game that looks awesome. @BrianRubin have you tried it?

Last time I played Crying Suns it kicked my ass. I’ll be revisiting it once it’s 1.0.

GameBillet has Starpoint Gemini Warlords for $7 at the moment. I bought it purely on the recommendation of this thread. Is any of the DLC important for a player starting out?

Nah, play the story first.

Hello my friends, and welcome to another super busy week of space gaming! This week, we’ll continue to plow through the Descent: Freespace: Silent Threat Reborn expansion, as weird as it is, in the hopes of finishing it before we stream the entire retail Freespace 2 campaign on 9/30.

This week also continues our month-long celebration of Freespace 2, beginning with Inferno: Nostos and Into the Halls of Valhalla, with mods such as The Last Stand, The Lightning Marshal, Mantle and more coming up throughout the week!

Moving on from pre-recorded content, here’s this week’s streaming schedule (please remember all times are Pacific):

• Monday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Tachyon: The Fringe stream.
  • Tuesday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Strike Commander stream. 5:00 PM - Our 300th podcast episode!
  • Wednesday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Queen’s Wish: The Conqueror stream.
  • Thursday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville. 5:00 PM, Dying Light LAN Party broadcast.
  • Friday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Hyperspace Delivery Service stream.[/list]

You can see all of our planned upcoming streams and events on our calendar, as always!

You can watch any of these streams on Twitch, YouTube, Mixer and Steam.

That should do it for this week my beloved friends. Thanks so much for being so amazing, and I hope to see you in the streams or in the comments! Have a great week!

Man, I wish I had time to watch these Freespace streams, or better yet, time to replay Freespace myself.

Just curious, are you playing the original game, or playing the original campaign modded into Freespace 2’s engine?

I think maybe when I get done with Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, instead of retiring my joystick again, I’ll re-install Freespace 2 and try to play through both campaigns in that game. I haven’t done that in a long, long time.

I’m using the FSPort, which is basically Freespace 1 content in Freespace 2, along with its Silent Threat Reborn remaster of the original expansion pack.

I never played Silent Threat because I heard it wasn’t very good. Now I get why. These missions are overtly-difficult and inconsistent of quality. They’re clearly inferior to the campaigns of Freespace 1 and 2, which makes playing them less fun.

Yeah, I didn’t enjoy Silent Threat. I thought some of the fan made campaigns I played at the time were better than Silent Threat when it came out. It was clearly Volition’s C-team assigned to that expansion.

I think it might be worse than that. If I recall, many of these missions were fan submissions via a contest.

Well, at least it got the overall story right. I remember one of the fans that came out with his own mini-campaign post-Freespace, he still had Earth as part of the story, and the rest of us told him, no no no, didn’t you play the end of the game? Earth is closed off from the rest of humanity after we destroyed the Shivan ship in hyperspace. And then, I remember he said “Oh ok, I missed that part”. D’oh!

Oh geeeeez what? C’mon.

I wish I was retired so I could follow Brian forever!!!