Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Slower is definitely better, in that the entire game isn’t just a frantic attempt to get the target in front of you at all. That a broadside based combat system naturally comes with a much more free camera and the ability to shoot at angle beyond straight forward helps a lot too.

But there have to be other options. Considering the infinite clarity of space it seems like some sort of long range sniping/salvo thing should have been done ages ago, for just one example.

Hey, speaking of that, you mentioned on the podcast that you might be streaming that soon. Next week sometime?

I played some last night and I’m torn. I’ve got such a nice ship, but if I stream it, I wanna do it from the beginning.

And as always, you can see what’s coming up on our Calendar.

On further play, it looks like SPG Warlords isn’t really a victim of the dreaded endless circling after all, since both the weapons and the camera can operate independent of ship facing. In principle this is great and solves my problem, and indeed I’ve had much more combat success ever since I discovered the “fire at will” function which takes full advantage of the weapon arcs rather than relying on my manual targetting. In practice, at least right now, it means I spend 90% of the fight never seeing my opponent, because the ship is never facing them (so chase cam doesn’t work) and I can’t seem to find them on free cam with any reliability. I’m… not sure what to do about that.

Are there any good SPG Warlords guides? I seem to need some help figuring out the best way to use the camera modes/UI.

Well, I decided that I love 3030 so much, I’m willing to start it from the beginning. So that’ll be next Friday’s stream. ;)

In IWar 2 you kind of slide around/drift like a hockey player. Combat is also slower.

In the SPG series once you discover the auto-fire ability of turrets the combat gets kind of boring and repetitive in its own way. In a game where you’re controlling capital ships I prefer Homeworld/Nexus-style combat.

Any opinions for Crying Suns?

So after finally having some time with Crying Suns, I’ve come to a conclusion. It’s not good. It’s not bad.

It’s boring.

After maybe 30-40 minutes, I felt like I’d seen everything, and for the rest of my time with it, I WAS SO BORED. Like, I was so excited to be done with it, that’s how bored I was. It’s a shame, it’s pretty, well-written and has some fun gameplay elements. BUT IT IS SO BORING. Ugh.

Thank you for your service.

I didn’t want to be the downer in the thread, but yeah that was my experience from playing the demo ~4 months ago. The combat was both simple and and unenjoyable and difficult to parse, while the away missions took about 10x longer to resolve than they should have.

You hit the nail on the head. Combat didn’t feel compelling, the characters were just some stats and skills, planetary exploration was so hands off as to be a snore and none of the RNG made any sense. Why does one planet need piloting to avoid danger, and the next, engineering?

Demo was updated on Sept. 5, and it sounds like the demo you played had the old planetary exploration system.

Hello my wonderful friends, and welcome back to another week of mostly spacey gaming! :) This week’s game of the week is the recently-released FTL-like, Crying Suns! I’ll also try to get up videos of Corpoct and some other games as the week goes on.

This week is also the final week of our month-long celebration of Freespace 2, our first videos for the week are Resurgence Renegade and Revenge: Final Conflict, and we’ll also be covering The Scroll of Atankharzim, Solaris and many more. This will lead up to next Monday’s all day stream of the entire retail Freespace 2 campaign (provided I can do it all in one day).

Moving on from pre-recorded content, here’s this week’s streaming schedule (please remember all times are Pacific):

• Monday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Tachyon: The Fringe stream.
  • Tuesday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Cube World stream. 5:00 PM - Talking about our first space games for the podcast!
  • Wednesday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Fantasy General II stream.
  • Thursday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, Far Cry 2 stream. 5:00 PM, Dying Light LAN Party broadcast.
  • Friday - 8:00 AM-12:00 PM, 3030 Deathwar Redux stream.

You can see all of our planned upcoming streams and events on our calendar, as always!

You can watch any of these streams on Twitch, YouTube, Mixer and Steam.

That should do it for this coming week my amazing friends. Thanks so much for everything, and I hope to see y’all in the comments or the community. Have a great week!

Huh, Battlestar Galactica coming to Switch. I think this is the first Matrix game on a console ever.

That’s a good move on Matrix/Slitherine’s part, I can see that working pretty well.

Freespace 2 is free on GOG right now y’all. Get it and then get the Knossos launcher to play it in its HD glory!

Also, here’s the latest Knossos launcher with the info on how to install it.

https://fsnebula.org/knossos/

Basically, install FS2, then install Knossos, tell it where FS2 lives. Then, download the mods you want from the explore screen, especially MediaVPs. This is essential to run FS2 in HD. Use the gear icon to set your graphical settings, and run the MediaVPs from the home screen. if you want to play Vanilla FS2 in HD. It’s amazing.

Infinity Battlescape is an indie multiplayer space combat game with small ships and capital ships. Designed for really big battles in space and over bases on planet/moon surfaces.

Currently has a map with a gas giant and four moons I think.

Watching a stream of it and it looks really neat. Lots of potential here.

Is there more to do in this game besides combat? I want a space yacht called “The Gatsby” so I can take my rich friends on a non-stop party tour around the solar system.

So far, it looks to be entirely combat.

Really enjoying infinity: battlescape so far. The feeling of inertia and the battles going on is really cool.

However, it has a pretty obtuse interface and huge learning curve. Really needs a good youtube tutorial vid.