Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

The dev is great so you’ll likely get the help you need.

Yup45

Talk to me, @Coldsteel, my long lost brother in TBS gaming! Why should I buy this?

I bought it because I owned the first game and enjoyed it a lot. Basically the game plays very much like EVE Online. To the point where it’s often called EVE Offline. I really enjoyed EVE but didn’t care for a lot of the game’s aspects on the PvP side. This game has a lot of similar mechanics but is completely single player.

I really enjoyed the asteroid mining in EVE and the implementation in Astrox is very similar. Also the combat is very non-twitch as in EVE. You can automate a lot of it. The drones are a lot of fun to play with as well.

I found the first game to be very enjoyable but limited by the developers tools and time. By all accounts Astrox Imperium is an improved version of the first game with better graphics, better systems, more gameplay options and more depth. I’ve just started playing it but the graphics are certainly much improved. It’s still in EA but it’s already pretty feature complete and the developer updates the the game at a mad pace and is very involved with the community. The game is also extremely moddable if that matters.

All in all, if you like space games and you liked the single player aspects and mechanics of EVE online, picking this up for only $5 is money well spent. Even if you don’t like EA it’s worth picking it up at the low price and letting it sit until it’s released.

Hi guys. I have my old 6 CDs for Klingon Academy and would like to fire it up under Windows 10 but it requires some jumping through hoops. I tried to sign up for a KlingonAcademy.com account but no one there sends verification emails anymore to activate accounts. Would any of you happen to have the Klingon Academy Combined Patch 1.02r7 all-in-one patch so I can simplify the process of installing under Windows 10? You need an active account to download it so that leaves me out of luck.

Hey welcome. These are what I used on my retail copy and they worked great.

http://jiridvorak.webpark.cz/ka/

Hey friends, welcome to another week of spacey gaming goodness. This week we travel all the way back to 1991, as we dive into some detailed tactical starship combat in Rules of Engagement, using the Windows port we talked about in last week’s podcast!

Moving on from pre-recorded content, here’s this week’s streaming schedule (please remember, all times are Pacific):

• Monday - 9:00 AM-12:00 PM, Star Trek: Elite Force II stream.
  • Tuesday - 9:00 AM-12:00 PM, Project I.G.I. stream. 4:00 PM-6:00 PM, Galaxy in Turmoil podcast live recording.
  • Wednesday - 9:00 AM-12:00 PM, 1001stHyperTower stream.
  • Thursday - 9:00 AM-12:00 PM, Curator Curiosities stream, this time looking at Gravel, Jamestown+ and Pit People. 4:00 PM-6:00 PM Dying Light LAN party stream.
  • Friday - 9:00 AM-12:00 PM, Mass Effect 2 stream.

You can see all of our planned upcoming streams and events on our calendar, as always!

You can watch any of these streams on Twitch, YouTube, Facebook and several other locations.

In terms of written content, I apologize that there likely won’t be much because my brain is kinda fried right now. I should come up with a list of topics for myself in the future. Is there anything you’d like to see me write about?

That’s it for this upcoming week! Thanks for reading, and I hope you’ll check out some of the content at some point. :)

Thanks for the link, Brian. When I go to install the game from the discs under Windows 10, I get an error about being unable to install “Mplayer” and it aborts that particular installation but appears to install the game itself fine. I’m assuming MPlayer is the media player Klingon Academy uses to play the many in-game FMV movies. I’m wondering if I’ll get errors whenever the game accesses the movies because Mplayer wasn’t installed properly. Anyone else here have this issue?

Pretty sure that mplayer refers to one of the early multiplayer services like Dwango, Heat.net that no longer exist.

Oh, okay, thanks for that important info, rei. Looks like I’ll be able to get this game on then.

Yeah, Mplayer was one of the many services back in “the day” that tried to dominate online gaming. Now you need something like Hamachi or Zerotier to make it work.

Well, I did get Klingon Academy running, however, I noticed a few quirks using the patches & fixes in the link. When I change the cfg to point to my HDD’s “movies” directory in Klingon Academy’s folder (where I copied all movies from the discs to), it prompts for Disc 2 when I select New Game so it can play the intro movie. Of course it doesn’t find it unless I change the cfg back to point to my disc drive. Workaround is to just load the Autosave instead of starting a new game. Also, the DirectDraw wrapper causes all menu screens to be a sluggish 16 FPS which makes the mouse kind of laggy. The game itself is full 60 FPS so there’s that at least. And I can’t figure out how to change resolution since I don’t get the options in the launcher. Otherwise, I’d say it’s been a success getting this old beast running on Windows 10.

Thanks for the help.

Gah, no idea about the disk 2 prompt, sorry. Old games, man.

Have you tried using a virtual drive emulator like Daemon Tools?

I don’t use Daemon Tools since the time I got adware/malware from it. I use WinCDEm instead. But it won’t solve the issue because the game’s cfg has been changed to point to the HDD’s “movies” folder so I can play off the hard drive. It’s no biggie anyway though. Solution is to just load from the initial autosave the game creates first thing. Changing resolution to 1920x1080 or so is more important but I took a look at some screen shots at that resolution and the UI is far too tiny to read. Anyway, I’m good. Thx, guys.

Daemon Tools has always been clean for me in over a decade of use. The bundled adware in the free version has always been de-selectable during the install process and it sounds like you forgot to opt out of it. I still have Pro licenses for it that I use, one of which I got from a Humble Bundle. Daemon Tools corporation now even makes the excellent gamepad binding utility reWASD.

Hyper Space: pirates of Atira

That is really neat, best of luck.

Ouch, got the kickstarter message today that the neat little game Remnant (that only needed a few hundred dollars to fund) is shutting down due to the divorce of the developer - very similar to Chris Park’s situation. Sad I was really looking forward to that game that looked quite advanced and almost ready for release.

Not shutting down entirely, just on hiatus. Hopefully he can get back to it eventually.