Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

You clearly don’t follow me on Twitter. Sir. ;)

I don’t follow anyone on Twitter, life is good!

Well my twitter is also something of a space game news feed, so if you wanna keep up, maybe use me as an RSS feed. ;)

Welcome back to another week of spacey gaming my friends! This week, our game of the week is the fun and fabulous drone construction and combat game (that I am terrible at), Nimbatus! I also hope to make more videos throughout the week as time and energy allow!

Moving on from pre-recorded content, here’s this week’s streaming schedule (please remember, all times are Pacific). Please note we’ve now moved to a 6 AM Pacific start time, and this week will mark the beginning of Freespace Fridays! Now with that said, here’s the schedule:

• Monday - 6:00 AM-9:00 AM, Star Fleet II: Krellan Commander stream.
  • Tuesday - 6:00 AM-9:00 AM, Lord of the Rings Online stream. 4:00 PM-6:00 PM, racing in space games live podcast recording.
  • Wednesday - No stream today.
  • Thursday - 6:00 AM-9:00 AM, Volcanoids co-op stream. 4:00 PM-6:00 PM, Dying Light co-op LAN Party!
  • Friday - 6:00 AM-9:00 AM, Freespace Fridays begins! Join us as we start with the Freespace Open port of Descent Freespace! 4:00 PM-6:00 PM, Discord movie night with The Last Starfighter!
  • Saturday - 6:00 AM-9:00 AM, Far Cry 5 co-op stream.
  • Sunday - 6:00 AM-9:00 AM, Human Fall Flat stream.

You can watch any of these streams live on Twitch, and you can see all of our planned upcoming streams and events on our calendar, as always!

No op-ed this week. Starting at 6 AM all last week killed my brain, but again, it’d likely be all about Bloody Rally Show and how awesome it is.

That’s it for this upcoming week, my amazing friends. I hope to see y’all at something! Stay safe and be well!

@BrianRubin

Did you ever get to use the key for Space Haven?

Just dropping in to say I absolutely loved starpoint gemini warlords, the combo of directly controlling a capital ship, building a fleet, RPG elements, boarding actions, and grand strategy elements kept me glued to the end. Is there anything else in this vein out there, besides Star trek command 2?

Also thanks Brian for recommending Interstellar Space: Genesis, this feels more like Moo than Moo lol

Yup, have it installed, just no time to play it yet.

Yeah, definitely the most successful MOO clone by far.

Hey Brian, I haven’t seen too much discussion of Star Valor around here but I saw you recommended it upthread. I’ve been playing it and enjoying it but I have a question… if you leave a ship at a station and that station gets destroyed, is the ship gone forever? That happened to me, and I assume the ship is lost, but weirdly the ship is still listed with the little ‘box’ icon on the galactic map next to the relevant system. Of course, there’s nowhere to go to actually pick it up, because the space station no longer exists.

God I wish I knew. I’ve not gotten that far. That sounds like an “early access problem” I’d ask the dev about.

Do you have a ‘Best of the Best’ list somewhere we can look at?

On my curator page yeah.

Subscribed! What are your updated thoughts on

Its out of beta now…

Oh man, the last time I tried that it was soooo janky. That was a while ago though, will need to revisit!

I have to admit I read that game description to myself in a Yakov Smirnoff accent.

I pictured Borat.

At least it has a memorable name.

I wish combat were turn-based.

Put this on my gravestone.

:)

God- I have been virus home bound for a few weeks --which means I have tried every space based 4x game there is --I think. And lord knows there are a bunch.

What is the best now? Please don’t tell me stellaris…

Endless Space 2 was pretty but in the end not good.

Moo (the new one) oh nvm that was just dumb.

I am half baiting for someone to tell me that interstellar: generic was good.

There are two freeware efforts, one crowd funded that have been posted about here. I liked GalCiv3 myself.

Distant. Worlds.

Especially with the Baconmod, checkout Dastactics video on it.