Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Hey man I’m stoked to read that, I really like text stuff and don’t have a ton of time for videos, so thanks for writing it up.

Also, can you edit those after you post? Because “Invavsion” is in the title.

God I am my own worst editor, thank you for catching that.

If there’s no enemies, why is this in their photos?

I was thinking those “guns” were shooting stuff into space, maybe to make the dyson sphere or transfer stuff from one planet to another?

I have been playing this. So far its a fantastic zero pressure builder/transport kind of game.

Disappointing to hear they are thinking of adding enemies. The game definitely doesn’t need that. It might distract from the building chill fun.

Either way the game is very fun and relaxing now! Hopefully they wont add violence and conflict.

It’d be nice if that sort of thing was optional when you set up a new game.

Yeah diff modes would address it!

So today I finally made Admiral in my career in Star Fleet II today, after about 200 hours. Now things will REALLY get crazy, as we’re in full-on war at this point. I mean, the objective for my next mission is to kill EVERY enemy ship in the entire sector. Every. Ship. That’s insane.

The big accomplishment today was capturing an enemy starbase, which I’d never done before, and took multiple attempts (plus they tried to board and capture me as well). What a god damned rush. I love this game.

Are these missions the same every time you play?

The game has thirty-five missions. Five for each rank. The objectives and the time limit for each mission don’t change, but the sectors in which they take place are randomized, so they never actually play out the same. One mission took seven attempts, for example.

Oh no.

Is that a clock in the corner?

It’s not that bad. I typically HATE time limits. HATE. But in this game you just try again, keeping whatever money you made from the previous attempt, while going to an entirely new randomly-generated sector. It’s only a simulation after all. ;)

Yeah I can’t do clocks and turn limits.

Same. Its a deal breaker.

Sigh, I’m telling you, it’s not that bad. You basically have a certain amount of “days” to complete a mission, and if not, you just do it again in a new sector. I too hate clocks but it’s not a big deal at all here. I’ll leave it at that.

Broke my Early Access rule and bought DSP. So far really enjoying it and it seems pretty slick for an EA game, though the tutorial leaves much to be desired. But I prefer the isometric view to either the top down of Factorio or the first person of Satisfactory.

Also, fuck having to deal with core energy. In fact, I don’t understand why these games insist on having a player character at all. So far, it feels like I’d much prefer it to have an RTS style interface. Does having an avatar pay off later on, or, even better, does it get abstracted away once you’re operating at interplanetary scale?

Not sure about later in the game how abstracted it is but fairly early on (i have 2 hours played i think) you get the ability to make wireless power towers that will recharge your mech’s energy if you’re close. Also you can upgrade your mech to have more energy capacity.

Yeah, but the range is really short, and they get in the way of everything else. I’ve got dozens of them and I’m still running out of energy constantly because I’m not standing in the halo most of the time. I should just load up my mech with coal and it would help. I’d much rather not have a mech at all, but I’m still enjoying it.

From watching the YouTube videos on Dyson Sphere Project, this is the game I was wanting Satisfactory to be - more Factorio with 3D elements, vs. Minecraft with Factory/Industrialization mods. I’m a much bigger fan of top-down or isometric style than first person.

My comically inefficient and overly complex base so far (oil/coal facilities offscreen). I’m at the point where I think I’ll refactor pretty much the whole thing now I’ve got a better handle on the systems, or just start a new seed.