Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

I’ll be curious to catch your thoughts on it. Cockpits look pretty rough.

This looks interesting - sort of Homeworld/Battlestar Galactica (story/combat) with ship design.

Jimmy does more good work:

https://www.filfre.net/2021/02/the-second-coming-of-star-wars/

Fantastic article, as always.

So I saw something about a PC-gaming focus group on PC can get a $250 gift card, so I signed up. Why not?

Today they emailed me more information, including asking this:

“Record a brief (30 - 60 seconds) video, where you introduce yourself, tell us where you are from, your age, and answer the following: What do you most like about Stellaris? Why? How would you feel if you couldn’t play it?”

Yeah, I didn’t realize this would focus on Stellaris. I emailed them back and said no thank you.

I mean:

“What do you most like about Stellaris?” Nothing. Not a god damned thing.

“How would you feel if you couldn’t play it?” Fantastic. I’d sleep like a baby.

I’d rather lose money than waste time playing Stellaris.

LOLOL

Harsh, man.
But fuck those marketing tactics.

@BrianRubin have you heard anything about Stellar Warfare? Forum search looked like it hadn’t been mentioned yet. Small 1 or 2 man team from what I read on r/RealTimeStrategy. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Yeah I’m aware of it, talked to the dev, just haven’t had time to give it a proper look. There’s just so much going on right now.

hahaha

I preordered it. I kept my expectations low, and even so I was disappointed. Sigh. Too bad.

Bwahahahahaha!

I liked Stellaris in its innocent, just-released days. Paradox was really trying something different.

Then it felt like it became a petri dish for every new designer to come along.

It’s unplayable for me now.

Stellaris has a metric crapton of game systems, that’s for sure. Some of them actually work as intended! Others are a pure burden. I enjoy the game to an extent, but it’s quite flawed and frankly there are simply better ways to spend my space 4x time.

This is my problem with it. I forget how I got a free copy at some point and spent not a great deal of time I’ll admit poking around and just didn’t get a good feeling and pretty much never looked back.

Nothing I’ve read about it since release has given me any cause to look at it again.

And there really are a variety of space 4X’s that are quite good I’m already enjoying.

A-fucking-men.

Strange to hear these comments regarding Stellaris. It seems to be the most popular 4x space strategy at the moment - by a long shot. What do you think accounts for that? People here just tend to have a different taste from the majority?

I get the feeling a lot of people who play Stellaris haven’t played many other space 4X games before, only other Paradox games, so by that metric it’s the bees knees. For those of us who’ve played every other 4X we’re like “But…these…points at Distant Worlds and Sword of the Stars…these…are…so…much…fine…” and just give up because it’s exhausting.

I like Stellaris and never did get into Sword of the Stars. And yes I’ve played many 4X games back to at least MOO and probably earlier if I could only remember back that far. No accounting for taste.

It is the one of the eccentricities of QT3! :-)

Hop in the Civ VI thread and you would think the series is on life support with the sound of a death rattle just around the corner instead of one of the most played games on Steam.