Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

My guess is it’s not done.

I played an early version ages ago and really liked it, but it likely still has a way to go.

Thanks. Guess I’ll hope to live long enough to see 1.0 :)

C’mon now, it’s not Star Scamizen

Hey, don’t know if this truly counts as a Space Game™ but Curve Digital’s Space Crew is part of a bundle that Humble is currently offering of games from that company, at the $9 tier, which includes stuff like For the King and American Fugitive, and of course the excellent Bomber Crew (Chibi B-17 missions in the European and Pacific Theater*).

*(assuming it’s the Deluxe version-- which was just given away as a Games with Prime thing).

Er…you’re managing a crew on a spaceship, how would it not be a space game? That’s like saying FTL isn’t a space game. What?

This came up in one of the threads recently, but can’t seem to locate it now. Interstellar Space: Genesis is 50% off at gog.com.

Worth it.

Definitely plan on picking it up, but I’ve apparently spent 40+ hours the past couple of weeks playing around in Distant Worlds with the Bacon mod + RetreatUE that DasTactic uses. Speaking of DasTactic he gave you and SpaceGameJunkie a shout out @BrianRubin in his first look video for ISG.

Oh that is so sweet of him. Man I love that guy.

What is the Bacon mod again? Is it named after the dude who may have actually written Shakespeare’s plays? ;-)

:)

It is a mod by the user RogerBacon on the matrixgames forums. He made an executable mod and added some functionality:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4263783

Then the RetreatUE mod is based on Unleashed Extended which adds some races and expands the tech tree among other things:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3834204

DasTactic’s thread: Bacon Mod + RetreatUE + Das Chrome

This game is terrific in my opinion, but it is a bit different than most space 4x games. It starts out slower than most, many complain about this, but it appeals to me. Space exploration and exploitation are hugely time and labor intensive undertakings and they are treated that way in this game.

Where it shines, I find, is in the exploration. You have to explore systems to determine the quality of the planets and whether there are goodies on the planets and that takes time and benefits from research and having the right leader guiding the away team. And you have to explore sectors, some which initially appear empty but slowly reveal their contents as you continue abstracted exploration.

But I’m more of an exploration and less of an extermination fan so YMMV.

Right now I think that Interstellar Space: Genesis, Stardrive 1 with the BlackBox and Combined Arms Mods and Remnants of the Precursors are the best space 4X games available. Each is very different from the other, but what they do they do very well.

Can you explain more about Star Drive 1 with those mods installed? What do they do, what are the differences from the vanilla game? I’d be interested in another 4X game to play.

Here is the link to the latest version of the BlackBox mod, called Venus.. And here is the link to the Combined Arms mod.

I’ve not played StarDrive 1 without them so I’m not much help as to what is different. It is real time versus TBS which I forgot to mention earlier. What I hear is that these mods essentially complete a game that was removed from the oven too soon by the developer and left out in the rain (sorry). Fixed out of memory issues - crashing due to XNA leaks - which solves numerous crashes the game had. This was one of the main issues in Stardrive 1 from what I’ve read. Both mods add QoL bits and Combined Arms added more ship styles, stations, weaponry, etc.

The great thing is that there are now so many space strategy games that appeal to so many of the niches in this niche genre that I’m not even tempted to try Stellaris, even when it is going for $1.

:-)

I have access to Stellaris for less than $1 – it’s on Gamepass for PC, but even with that I am not tempted based on all I’ve heard.

And now on sale on Steam as well until the 5th.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

If you search those mods + stardrive on YouTube there is a 2 hour definitive guide video discussing them. I just started watching so not sure how good it is.