Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Its worse than you think, I play with mods from loverslab :)

I would like to play MOO with the Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

Hrm, I might need to re-install Sword of the Stars. Are there any must have mods these days?

Funny you should say that I’m playing a vanilla campaign to the learn the ropes as we speak. Getting right properly killed too, but I’m learning. It’s a good bit of fun that’s for sure.

Did they ever fix the sequel?

Paradox killed it, so no.

Yeah, it’s my favorite galactic 4X ever.

There are a few mods out there but none that I think are “must have”. The game with all the expansions is already great. Just get all of the expansions because they really change the game a lot.

Same here. I actually didn’t care a whole lot for it at release, I thought it was just mediocre. After the expansions it took the crown of favorite space 4X and has yet to be dethroned.

I’m still bummed out about SOTS2 after all these years.

I need to boot up SOTS again as well. Such a great game. Yeah I was super bummed about the sequel as well :( No idea what happened though.

Anyone remember VGA Planets? Surprised to find out there’s a browser version still being sold/run.

I sure do! I bought 3.5, I think? Both the DOS and the Win3.11 versions. Fun times.

Chances are there are people at Paradox who were there and might have something to tell, but even then you’d only get a partial view on one of the sides of that story. Better leave it in the past. ;)

I don’t think there was any secret here. The team at Kerberos clearly just bit off more than they could chew and the game was overly and unnecessarily complicated. It looked beautiful but played cumbersomely. It was clearly unfinished when released and even though they did come back and patch it pretty well, the design was just lacking. From what I’ve read or gathered from reading between the lines, the developers failed to get a handle on the game and Paradox just said, “Enough” and the developers released it.

Am I the only one who sees the parallels here with SoTS2 and Moo3? Both failed sequels to great games by developers who bit off more than they could chew (not to try and say Moo2 and SoTS are equivalent games). Like others, I would love an updated SoTS game and maybe we’ll see a third one day with a new team. In the meantime there is apparently some Bastard Sword of the Stars mod I may have to check out.

planets.nu? That’s actually a very good game, well maintained, and with a great community. However last time I tried it I found a game would quickly get bogged down in a lot of micromanagement and a UI that frankly could be a lot better.

It’s one of those “if I was independently wealthy and so had all the time in the world to kill, I’d play that game” games.

Has anyone ever tried http://cosmicsupremacy.com/ ? Apparently I asked that 5 years ago, but it didn’t show up when I pasted the link.

Thanks to saIes and an itch for something new I went on a little 4X spending spree the other day, picked up Stars in Shadow with DLC, IS:G also with DLC, and Stardrive 1. Grabbed the Blackbox and Combined Arms mods for Stardrive. Now I want to play one of them.

I hear that IS:G has a great sense of discovery, which is something I really enjoy in space 4X. But something about modded-out Stardrive is calling to me, too. I’m honestly not sure, though. if the mods make it truly a complete game, or just fall into the “we’ll throw more stuff in there so you have enough things to play with that you don’t mind the issues” trap. Which can be fun in it’s own right, but a different kind of fun.

If you had to pick at this point between those two today, which would you dive into for 20 to 30 hours?

Did you intend to ask about modded StarDrive 1?

Yes, sorry. :) Corrected!