Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Cool. I am really enjoying StarDrive one with the black box and combined arms mods. It gets off to a faster start and it’s real time and I am enjoying tinkering with it and figuring out the mechanics.

I have all three of the games that you mentioned and this one is eating up my time right now.

When does this get released so we can all get to experience what you are raving about?

Hopefully later this year when we’re ready to release 2.0. We’re about to hit 1.7 now. If you have time we are looking for playtesters. Speaking of, almost lost a Starfort this morning.

But we gave them such a shellacking, and the calvary began to arrive, that the few enemies left in the system decided to flee.

Luckily we know which direction they went in so we can presume an enemy starbase is in a system in that direction, which will be our next target.

Not sure whether this was posted before but Kerberos Head Honcho Mecron has said that if there is enough interest, he’d consider a HD remake and/or SOTS 3. The link is SOTS HD Petition.

I don’t particular like or agree with Mecron and think the guy is mainly driven by ego, but you can’t deny he created one of the best 4X. A HD remake would be great, not sure I’d be hopeful for a v3 seeing the mess he made of v2.

What I remember of SOTS is I bought it 'cause y’all raved, it crashed on every attempt to launch, Paradox directed me to Kerberos, and when they couldn’t help, I went to Stardock for a refund (does anybody remember laughter Impulse?).

That, and when y’all talk about them I get SOTS and Sins of a Solar Empire mixed up. I have SOASE but on my two attempts to play it didn’t click with me.

I guess what I’m saying is, it might be worth putting SOTS on a “buy this maybe” list. (In the same vein as “I’ll get back to GalCiv III Real Soon™”)

If I recall some comments from Mecron at the time, the financial crisis hitting while the game was in active development played a role in the game’s release state. I don’t remember the details, but they needed additional money and resources during development which weren’t exactly readily available when the economy imploded.

I remember too, I was active on the Kerberos forum at the time. The one thing that always got me was he never took any responsibility. It was always someone elses fault and they were stopping him from creating the perfect game he wanted. He never accepted his ideas were too grand and not realistic.

I bought Sword of the Stars 2.

Me too, make room in that dumpster.

Steam tells me “Last played: December 25th 2012.”

What a sad Christmas that was.

I’m sorry you couldn’t get it to work but IMO that’s no reason for others not to buy the game. There’s always some small percentage of players that have issues, and I’d be bummed out too.

While I am interested in the game, time to playtest would be limited. Glad to hear it is not far off from release. Is a demo planned?

Wow I’m not even sure if that’s possible. I’ll ask, though I have no idea what that would look like.

Yeah, I wasn’t sure that kind of game would lend itself to a demo, but thought I’d ask.

This, and he had quite a chip on his shoulder.

We’re talking about it, and maybe we could do something where only the tutorials would be available. That would give you a small taste of what the game has to offer.

Great, will keep my ear to the ground on this thread :-)

Wow, that looks very good. Full Controller Support too. I really hate using the mouse for space games, which is probably why I’ll never be able to enjoy games like Starsector (same with Freelancer).

It says release is planned for “Early 2021”, so maybe it will be out soon?

It’s trucking along, but I’m not sure whether it’ll be out soon or not. Last time I played it I had a lot of fun with it.