Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

UGA colonies have English names. We’re basically in their back yard at this point in the war.

As I was streaming Star Fleet II today, someone said, “I think the graphics are fine but the UI should be a lot easier. and the scope of the game could be a lot grandeur or more things to do.”

I was like, There’s full scale ground invasion, subterfuge, space combat, boarding action, etc etc. There’s a full-blown war right going on right now that I, as an admiral, am managing myself.

Then they said, “when I mentioned more complex things or things to do. I would say maybe fighting the war as an admiral on multiple star systems.”

I was like, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM DOING RIGHT NOW. I just defended my starfort in one system from like six ships, and now I’m attacking an enemy colony in another. There are multiple star systems in each sector, which are randomly generated for each mission.

I wonder if we have to try and sell this game better because they were LITERALLY describing what I was doing RIGHT THEN.

I don’t think wasting time trying to explain the game to people reacting like those is a productive use of your time. Even if they eventually understand it, they’re unlikely to actually play or enjoy the game if they lack that kind of imagination.

That said, it’s a tough game to sell to the “super graphics” generation. The best way to promote it is by doing fictionalized AAR, I’d say. Imagination is its strongest ally, so you might want to double-down on that. That’s what worked with Dwarf Fortress, for instance.

I think @rhamorim is right with his response. Those things are going on already in the game (or at least can be). But the graphics make it far less-than-obvious to somebody who glances at the screen expecting to understand what’s happening everywhere in the game at once. Modern players are conditioned to expect HUDs, contextual pop-ups & etc whereas this game makes no affordances and assumes you grok having to toggle multiple displays for status, actions, etc. Very obviously old-skool.

I do narrate as I’m playing, but maybe I’m not doing a good enough job.

I think you’re doing a fantastic job. But, again, not everyone will “get” it, and you shouldn’t blame yourself for that.

Thank you, that means a lot.

I think that’s a bit unfair. I’m not a member of the “super graphics” generation (I got into gaming with the Civ and MOO), but no matter how much Brian pumps this game, I’m just not interested. Even for me the graphics and interface are far too ancient. I mean, seriously, he’s playing a game released in 1989, that’s over 42 (!!!) years ago. Modern games passed that by a long time ago. I’m glad that Brian loves the game so much, and gets so much joy out of such an ancient game. But I suspect very few will ever be as enthusiastic as he is. And he shouldn’t feel bad if others aren’t. Too each his own.

That’s fair. I’m just excited we have nearly 1,900 wishlists on Steam so far.

Um, what? Did I sleep for 10 years last night? Is it 2031? If it is, I shouldn’t have worked a lick this morning, since I should have retired a few years ago now! ;-)

I wouldn’t say it’s a bit unfair. Not everyone has the kind of imagination that games like Dwarf Fortress and Krellan Commander require, and if you consider the way graphics have been sold as a pretty important part of what makes a game a game in the last couple decades, it’s probably even harder to find people with any interest in this kind of game than it was back in the nineties.

And, as you say, that’s OK. Which is why I told Brian to focus on the AARs - people who like those (without screenshots) tend to be the people that might like this kind of game. And there are people like that out there, I’m sure.

It’s a good idea. When we get closer to release I’ll ask a playtester if they have time to do one.

Heh, 31 or 41, either is ancient history by PC gaming standards! :)

Hey @BrianRubin, did Rules of Engagement ever get a remake?

Sort of. Someone did a Windows port of the game, but it’s kind of stuck in beta since it didn’t generate a ton of interest, sadly. It runs great though.

Oh man, what a shame it’s been abandoned, it looks so good!

There’s always emulation I suppose. Thanks mate!

Saw Slipways released today, anyone taken the dive?

I picked it up an hour ago via Epic with the sale voucher. Ridiculous price for launch day!

Unfortunately it’s 9am here so won’t have a chance to play till this evening, but I’m looking forward to it.

Oh, slipped my mind about the epic option and I do have a coupon to burn!

I bought it today, but I don’t think I’ll play until the weekend.