Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

OH silly Steam forum user, thinking a spaceship game that uses full-Newtonian physics doesn’t need a stop/brake button.

My new shirt is here!

Cool, did you get that done up as a one off I would guess?

Nope, someone DOES this.

https://wikishirt.org/

Now that’s rather cool idea I’d never heard of.

Right?!

What would you do if someone leans in to read the entire blurb!?

Depends on who they were.

So I downloaded the demo for CHORVS and played it till I hit a massive difficulty spike. What how the heck are you supposed to protect the refugee ship (or whatever)? I tried it like 10 times.

I know Brian didn’t like the game but how did everyone else feel about it? At least it got me back into Everspace.

Brian

New game (sequel) for you to cover:

Looks like a lot for an indie to pull off without $400 million plus.

It makes me curious if there was a SpaceBourne 1, and if it was any good.

Btw, I bought Silent Sector on Brian’s recommendation, but I think sadly it’s not for me. There’s no real physics or momentum or real space flight, it feels like, it’s just a twin stick shooter where your fighter just instantly moves in the direction of the left stick, or stops moving if you stop holding in that direction. So I guess a twin stick shooter set in space? But I don’t know, that still sounds appealing on paper, but in the game it feels all wrong to me. Plus there’s so many controls that they didn’t bind to the controller, I wonder if I’ll need those? Like the ability to go to the menu. I bought a mining laser, but I can’t find any way to actually switch weapons to it.

Well, yes there was, and it seems like it was pretty good according to Steam ratings:

The new game appears to build upon this.

None of the steam reviews mention how it controls. No one mentioned using a joystick or a controller. “Controller Support” is not listed as one of the steam features. So I’m guessing it’s mouse driven? Like Freelancer maybe? That makes me not interested in it. I wonder if the sequel will support it?

Sadly I invited him on my podcast when the first game came out and he declined because he didn’t think his spoken English was good enough. Might have to do a textual q&a again.

I guess you follow absolutely nothing I do as I’ve said many times it’s one of the best space games of the last ten years. It controls basically like a mix of Freelancer and EVE Online and it’s wonderful. But you’d know that if you watched or paid attention to…I dunno…any content I made.

Sometimes I don’t know why I bother.

Sorry sorry I just get frustrated sometimes.

Sorry, you cover a lot of stuff that’s not my bag, including SpaceBourne, it sounds like, if you’re comparing it to Freelancer! I love joystick space sims, the only joystick sim had less fun in than Freelancer’s moment to moment gameplay was Starlancer. Even Privateer 2: The Darkening milquetoast gameplay was more fun for me since I was using a joystick. (I never played Eve Online for the same reason).

Do you know if SpaceBourne 2 will be mouse driven too?

No idea, but probably, since it worked so well in the original.

1. You can ask the question on the Steam forums.
  2. A 30 second google search told me the answer to your question :)

I follow Space Game Junkie as a curator on Steam so I can get @BrianRubin’s takes front and center when I’m browsing those space games.