Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

LOL - I ordered the External DVD and found a used good copy on Amazon.

Been playing X4 Foundations a bit and it made me want to try Freelancer.

Oh is this your first time!? You’re gonna have fun.

Hunh.

I been trying out the Underspace Demo but it keeps crashing when I try to load my save file. Not a big deal since it is a demo and I was not that far in it to be a big deal. Wondering if anyone else ran into that who has played the demo?

Pre-alpha demo. I’m curious to try it just to see how the controls feel on the game pad. I can’t be bothered to bring out my Sidewinder joystick anymore most of the time.

@BrianRubin’s Sidewinder sits on a pedestal (I can see it in my mind)!

It actually does.

MMOs aren’t my thing, but this might be up the alley of a few people here.

I played it a while ago and there wasn’t really a there there. Hopefully it’s come a long way since.

@BrianRubin

Is the sidewinder mounted permanly to the pedal? ; )
Looks like the joystick is wider than the surface it sits on.

BTW, the pic did put a big grin on my face

Heh, I bought that one used for the Mac* way back in the late 90’s and never got around to playing it. :-|
Did play WC III though, that was fun. Was Malcolm MacDowell a villain in that one, I can’t remember. I think Terry Farrell of DS9 was in it. NOPE, wrong about that. Someone named Jennifer MacDonald played the other love interest.

*came over to the Dark Side in June '99 and never looked back. Got tired of no games and getting my face ripped off for the hardware.

No it’s held on using Velcro tape, and it’s definitely wider than the base it’s ok, but it’s not a problem.

Freelancer is loaded and working! The vendor on Amazon actually included the patch in a separate disk with explicit instructions in getting the game to work on modern systems. Very impressed with their effort.

Oh how splendid!

Crossposting from the VR thread. BattleGroupVR is available as an app lab (i.e. early access) game natively on the Oculus and it is fucking terrific.

It’s basically a space RTS where you’re on the bridge of your flagship, which you can also take control of directly. It’s so god damned great, seriously.

It’s also on Steam if you prefer it that way:

But I find I want less and less to be tethered to my PC when playing VR games so this is lovely.

Well, 17€ is better than 25€, that’s for sure.

@BrianRubin

Is there a Freelancer Mod you recommend? I watched you play I think it was Crossfire but wasnt sure if it was your top choice of Freelancer mods?

I intend to play Vanilla first but wondering which mod or mods are worth installing eventually.

Honestly? I’d recommend playing the game through the story once in vanilla. It’s a great game with a fun story and it’s worth going through the first time unmodded, I feel.

Once you’ve done that, Crossfire and Discovery are two of the biggest mods you can try. There are a ton of others too. But yeah, vanilla first I think.

I am having some difficulty flying with the mouse especially in the debris field as I have a hard time avoiding all the stuff. Not sure if it is due to the mouse sensitivity in the game settings itself or if it the DPI settings on the mouse. Busy experimenting. I keep hitting stuff when I move the mouse as ship moves more than I want it to.

The mouse controls are unlike any other game and definitely take some practice. Don’t stress about it, you’ll get the hang of it.