Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

I really loved the research in Interstellar Space: Genesis.

Ugh, I’ve been trying to Google it. It was a space strategy game, but 1990-1992. This is well before Ascendancy but in a similar vein.

Right now I’m just browsing through this resource, which is incredible

Oh wow.

Nice. I really should’ve done a better job keeping things over the years, though I have no idea where I keep it all.

Edit: Bloodnet by Microprose. I don’t think I’ve heard of that before now. A cyberpunk/vampires game. Hmmm.

Holy Copyright Infringement

Aren’t Cylons silver? Seems like it should pass review :)

I’m disappointed that they didn’t have the best SimCity box cover:

Ugh, 2000 game boxes and I didn’t see what I’m looking for. Possible I missed it, or the site had an alternative cover, but now it’s driving me sorta mad.

FOUND IT

Heh, the same game I was looking for :)

Oh cool, it’s got the Planescape: Torment guy in it.

It’s got a proto-MOO feel to it, coming a full four years before that game. I played the hell out of it.

Supremacy was awesome. First 4x (of sorts) I ever played, on the Atari ST.

Oh wow, nice find. I never got around to playing Overlord.

The funny thing is when I asked the other day I hardly have any recollection of the gameplay itself, which makes sense since I played just that one day at the friend’s house. I just had a vague memory of the planet info screen, with that circular scope window thing. The thing that stuck with me over the years was the back cover of that Overlord box.

Also funny that @Woolen_Horde and I were looking for the same game.

Hah yeah that’s hilarious.

@BrianRubin did you ever go back and try Nebulous: Fleet Command again? I’m wondering if the interface improved at all from when you first tried it.

No, the game terrifies me. I’m waiting for 1.0, then hopefully it’ll be approachable enough for me to grok.

This could probably be said for all of us who read even a couple of the negative steam reviews. Ooff.

I bought it during the xmas sale, and I really like it, but the interface definitely hasn’t improved.

There are a few other things that bother me.

I think the more complex a game is, the better the tutorial needs to be, and while it does explain the combat basics pretty well, it doesn’t really explain how you design a ship, or what your options are, or what trades you are making when you’re building one, and that annoys me.

The other is that for now, it only has a skirmish mode, and I’d really like some prepared scenarios or a campaign. Without it, it feels like a tech demo.

The interface woes isn’t just a 3D thing, it’s definitely also a design thing. I’m a big fan of Brendon Chung aka Blendo Games, and he did a much better job with Flotilla. If you think Nebulous is too opaque, then Flotilla is an excellent alternative.

Oh man, Flotilla! I played that back on my 360 when it was an XBLig game.