Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Look, it’s a great thread, don’t get me wrong. But having a “space game” thread is almost too big-tent, considering that could encompass, as I mentioned, lots of 4X and strategy games plus the more sim-my kinds of games that I dabble in, but don’t have a lot of depth with - plus stuff that leans more third person adventure and RPG, which I do have more depth with. But I guess the alternative is having multiple different “space” threads, which is may be more confusing than it’s worth. I dunno.

So guys, I wanted to chime in on this game. It’s one of those logistical games like Satisfactory or Dyson Sphere that usually makes me run away in terror…but this game is TERRIFIC.

It has a fantastic tutorial, VERY intelligent automation, amazing tips and plenty of guidance. It also has an ASTOUNDING UX/UI, with searches and filters and an in-game manual/database that’s also searchable. I’m basically calling it a smart game for dumb people like myself.

Please do check it out. I am absolutely enamored with it.

Too late. ;) You wanna spend the time and energy creating a separate thread for EVERY dang sci-fi and space game (and trust me, right now there are a TON, blessedly), go at it. I have neither the energy nor the time, so this works for me, for the most part.

Anyone have the skinny on what happened to Between the Stars? Is it still being actively worked on? I got it in a Humble Choice a couple of years ago, I think.

Development has slowed sadly.

Thanks for the link.

Hmm. No further word for nearly six months, then? Let’s hope they finish it someday.

Not like there’s any shortage of games to play, thank goodness. Rather the opposite. 😏

Yeah, I’m not super hopeful, but I’ve been surprised before so who knows?

I’ve had Final Upgrade on my wishlist since it released. With that recommendation, I’ll bump it up in priority!

Yay thank you!!

Looks like Crying Suns just got an update. Posting here, because I don’t think it ever got a thread?

Paging BrianRubin…

Lol @ the 3 Old Republic games making the list.

Grabs the popcorn….

Interesting list, and I’m happy to see Sins of a Solar Empire get on there. I never played Endless Space 2, is it really that good? With the exception of Endless Legend it always seemed that Amplitude games were lacking. I think Distant Worlds, or Sword of the Stars would be a better pick than ES2.

I’ve enjoyed my time in Elite: Dangerous, but I don’t see how it rates that high, or even makes the list.

#3 will surely generate some howls.

The definition of “space game” is curious to say the least…

That list is the shittiest list that ever shitlisted. What a fucking joke.

That might be the weirdest list I’ve ever seen on the internet.

Given its a a reader-voting-based list, my takeaway is there’s lead in the pixels on the RPS website.

My take on that list:

I haven’t played, and therefore can’t comment on:

• Endless Space 2
  • Space Engineers
  • X3: Terran Conflict
  • Rimworld
  • Deep Rock Galactic
  • Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic (MMO)
  • Prey
  • Star Wars: Tie Fighter
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Outer Wilds
  • Kerbal Space Program
  • Stellaris
  • Eve Online

I have played, and think it’s excellent:

• Master of Orion 2
  • Freespace 2
  • Star Wars: KOTOR II - The Sith Lords
  • Dead Space
  • Star Wars: KOTOR
  • Homeworld
  • Elite Dangerous
  • Mass Effect trilogy

I have played, and think it’s just okay:

• Destiny 2
  • Freelancer
  • No Man’s Sky (tough to classify, loved it at launch before it turned into a busywork game)

So yeah, 8 excellent games, 3 games that I personally wouldn’t have put on the list, and a whole bunch of games I haven’t played.

Conclusion: I need to play more space games. I think I own a lot of that list that I haven’t played yet, but it’s in my backlog. Like Tie Fighter and FTL and Outer Wilds and Prey. I should get on that. Plus the Old Republic MMO is now free to play I think. And maybe Eve Online as well. Though I don’t generally enjoy MMOs, so maybe the fact that it’s set in space won’t help.

Looking at my own top 100 from that thread, and only leaving space games, I guess this is my top 30

1. Star Control 2
  2. System Shock 2
  3. Independence War (I-War)
  4. Halo: Combat Evolved
  5. Master of Orion 2
  6. Freespace 2
  7. Wing Commander: Privateer
  8. Aliens vs Predator (1999)
  9. Supreme Commander
  10. Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
  11. Super Mario Galaxy
  12. Wing Commander: Prophecy
  13. Mechwarrior 3
  14. Star Wars: X-wing Alliance
  15. Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords
  16. Mass Effect
  17. Dead Space
  18. Halo 3: ODST
  19. Halo 4
  20. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
  21. Geometry Wars 2
  22. Aliens vs Predator 2
  23. Wing Commander 3
  24. Timeshift
  25. Mass Effect 3
  26. Rez HD
  27. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  28. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Honoroble mentions:
SHOGO: Mobile Armor Division
No Man’s Sky

This list was made before I played Elite: Dangerous. Kind of tricky where I would put that. Maybe below Jedi Knight but above Wing Commander: Prophecy, so tied at 11 with Super Mario Galaxy?

There’s really nothing else to say, is there? Most of that list isn’t even space games.