Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Might be appropriate here…

An in-depth look at Space Exploration in video games by NeverKnowsBest

I watched about thirty minutes of that before noping out. It’s not bad, though Starflight getting the barest hint of a mention – I feel Starflight still has some of the best exploration in any space game, to this day. – really put me off.

80% of the gaming population is younger than Starflight. Those seminal 8 bit games are crossing the cosmic event horizon.

No excuse.

I didn’t even finish Starflight back in the day (due to a corrupt C64 floppy disk) and still thought it was amazing and a seminal game in the space exploration genre. It just had that… aura of wonder that I never found in a space game I played since then, not even Star Control: Origins (though I never played Star Control II, so… there ya go). Maybe Space Rangers II was close though I didn’t like the text adventures.

It is a shame that kickstarter was so lacking. We really need a new Starflight. For the young ones

Still best in class, if you ask me.

Prophets, I’m still livid about that. One of the worst crowdfunding campaigns I’ve ever seen.

I still backed the doomed Starflight kickstarter and I’d do it again.

Same here. I backed it, but this was the worst, or at least the most disappointing KS I have seen. They were totally clueless as to how to run a successful campaign. I’m just amazed that no one on that team did any sort of review of what helps make a campaign successful.

I know. It was breathtaking in how terrible it was run.

It wasn’t just the campaign, but the kind of ¯_(ツ)_/¯ attitude about it, and the “well, if this doesn’t take off we are going to work on this other project so hurry up and pledge your support”

Oh god I know, their whole attitude about it was, “Meh, fuck it.” Absolutely infuriating.

Guys, GOG now has both Rules of Engagement games, two of the Breach games (three is missing for some reason) and all three Universe games!

Wow… I owned Rules of Engagement 2, and I always wanted Breach 2 because supposedly if you owned both, then RoE would swap out to Breach to handle any boarding combat…

From the RoE2 page on GoG

Rules of Engagement is the lastest module in the Interlocking Game System series, enabling you to seamlessly interconnect with Breach 2. Fight battles with Breach 2 where all experience gained is automatically transfered back to your Fleet Commander’s record.

<$13 to try this out now… Hmm…

Sadly it’s not ANY boarding. The mission has to be designed specifically to use Breach.

All this time… Maybe I should keep my rose colored nostalgia glass firmly in place and not mess up my fond memories of the game. :D

OH it’s still an amazing feat, especially for its day, I just wanted to temper your expectations.

:) I was watching their trailer video, and was re-reminded how important the manual was for this game. That UI is pretty dense and non-obvious! Good times! …back when I was in college and had all the time in the world…

Someone go play this and record it on YouTube and I’ll watch it in little chunks when I have the time. Live vicariously!

Forgive how rusty I am, it’d been decades since I’d played these.

I figured you might already have it up on YouTube. Bookmarked!