Space Hulk: Deathwing - UE4, Focus Home Interactive

Just a teaser. Not much else is known, except that it’s a shooter and uses the UE4 engine.

Developed by Streum On Studio, the people that made the oddball E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy.

That’s some quick turnaround on the Space Hulk license.

Am I the only one getting the impression that GW thinks the problem isn’t who they pick for the jobs, but that straight ports of their tabletop games can’t be successful?

… Whatever. I’d much rather have 3rd edition update of Deathwing for the recent TB Space Hulk.

I’m fully anticipating a Doom 3 style monster closet shooter. But I guess that means I get to spend my money on something more worthwhile, so… Good for me?

I suspect it’s more about perserving the tabletop as the only option for playing the unadulterated game. Whether that’s a good business decision or not is complicated, I’m sure.

It really isn’t that complicated: it’s an awful decision since they refuse to keep it in print. They’re worried that people will buy it for the figures and use them in 40k tabletop since they’re less expensive than the separately sold figures ($100 for 12 Terminators and 23 Genestealers, versus $50 for five termies and $30 for 8 stealers).

And worried with good reason. The number of gutted (everything except the figures) copies of Space Hulk 3rd on eBay and such was just silly. I mostly blame the out of control (or fully in control) prices of GW tabletop games for the insanity. Thanks Funkula for reminding me of reason two hundred and twelve of why I ran from and never looked back at GW miniature games.

When I said “complicated”, I meant more than just Space Hulk, since Disconnected said “tabletop games”. Basically, I think GW wants revenues from digital game licenses, but they don’t want digital games to cannibalize their tabletop market. Hence, the tangential games (e.g., RTSs) or altered version of the TBS/board games.

After Space Marine, the only sensible way to approach a WH40K action game is to focus on melee combat. The shooting in that game was merely a palette cleanser for the absolutely stupid fun of shredding orks with a chainsword.

If I can play this entire game with lightning claws, I’m interested. But I think Terminators might be a little too slow to make it work.

New trailer. Sadly there’s no gameplay but I think it’s in-engine.

I’m not a fan of the licence but I’m interested to see what Streum On Studio create next. I can’t decide whether I hate E.Y.E. or not.

Two blurry off-screen images of Deathwing. I hate when developers/publishers do this.

Fat Shark’s also working on a Warhammer co-op shooter, set for release in 2015. Warhammer: The End Times - Vermintide.

I love warhammer 40k, but space hulk didn’t really do it for me. It felt too board game’y (no offense to fans of board games). Looking forward to this one and hoping it is good.

I saw the trailer a few days ago and thought it was another turn based Space Hulk game. A FPS sounds great, although tyranids/genestealers are the least interesting of all of 40k’s bad guys.

…Additionally to its solo game mode, Space Hulk: Deathwing features class-based cooperative team-play and will demand not only savvy hand-eye coordination, but also clever use of squad tactics coordinated by the Librarian; the leader of your Terminator squad. Each player will make use of their role and specialization to wade through swarms of approaching Genestealers, and reach objectives as you advance through the story.

With a narrative written by renowned Black Library author Gav Thorpe, the game takes players on a grand and immersive journey through the infested hallways of a labyrinth of space ships.
As a Librarian, players will be able to make use of powerful psychic abilities, and give orders to their squad to avoid being flanked, secure doorways…

Streum On Studio have crafted a dynamic AI system that scales attacks depending on the ability of the player squad, ensuring players will always be challenged. If you’re doing well, the Genestealers will intensify their assault, but as you begin to weaken, they’ll not unnecessarily risk their numbers. You’ll have to work as a team in multiplayer - or give the right orders to your AI squad in single player - to survive the harsh realities of war in a Space Hulk.

Space Hulk: Deathwing will release in 2016 on PC and consoles.

I very much approve of this, and Tyranids rocks, particularly in an FPS setting, you will see

New gameplay trailer featuring weighty combat and slick UE4 visuals.

Damn that looks good, I am spending more on Warhammer video games than I have ever on miniatures.

The first person melee looks a little boring, but my interest level is greater than zero!

Barachiel seems like a name that’s due for a comeback.

Looks interesting, hope the Co-op game play is good, will wishlist the game once it make it to steam.

Which is something it seems GW have only cottoned onto as a possibility in the last few years. About time!

I cannot say the same, but it’s not because the computer games aren’t great! I’m just hoping this continues the recent streak of good/great Games Workshop adaptions.

Looks kind of like a 40k version of vermintide, which is A-OK in my book. As a Dark Angels fanboy from way back I’m glad they’re finally getting a good looking game! I just hope it lives up to expectations.