Space Pirates and Zombies 2, now with more neon!

33% off at the moment. Anyone up on the current state?

It looks like there is a decent size update every month, current version is 0.7.0 , I am also interested in hearing any current owners opinion.

Haven’t played it for a bit, but enjoyed it when i did.

Didn’t get far enough to say how the map works out, as it kinda seemed small compared to the HUGE map I had in SPAZ1, that said; I haven’t used the warpgates or w.e. they were, so maybe there is a whole other galaxy out there.

I used to play a carrier ship in SPAZ1 and haven’t found the equivalent in SPAZ2 yet, but as I said, not gone very far into it.

One annoying thing I’ve run into is that while I’m around level 13, I get ambushed by level 30+ ships that are way faster than mine, and the only way to escape is to either give them a lot of cargo or fight (and die) or fight (and run away, only to lose the cargo anyway).

I played and did some videos on the game right at the start of early access. I liked what I saw then, but I haven’t played the game in months.

SPAZ2 didn’t feel like there was a lot there and got repetitive extremely fast for me, but I don’t think that’s a black mark against them since it’s the initial release of Early Access… that’s kind of what I expect.

I liked the premise of what I saw, so decided to shelve the game until it’s further along. There’s been a major update every month and while I haven’t tried them out, they all look like good additions in theory. The game seems to be coming along nicely, but if you’re looking for something deep to dive into today, I can’t vouch for the current state of development since I’ve been holding off playing.

My goodness, anyone remember this game in Early Access? I had kind of forgotten about it, but they just rolled out version 0.8. Here’s a video to show off some of the new additions.

Gah, the thread got bumped and I thought it was out. Curse you, KevinC!!!

-Tom

How cool would it be to have a fleet of the little derpy ship?

New update with some pretty awesome changes, it seems!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/252470/discussions/0/154642901286681951/

Holy crap that’s lovely.

Wait, am I getting my games confused? I thought they weren’t doing MP for this one?

I hope it’s some sort of coop!

I just gotta say this, the spaceship in this game is just about the ugliest ship I’ve ever seen. Spaceships should look cool, while this looks like a child put it together with intergalactic Legos. I am not impressed by their ship models.

I always had the impression it was supposed to look like a bolted together scrapheap, which is basically what it is. It’s “ugly” I suppose, but it always seemed intentional to me as opposed to “I tried to make something look cool but it looks awful”, which makes a difference in how I perceive it.

EDIT: Post-apoc games are a good example. Things look ugly in the sense everything looks rusted, broken down, and tied together with duct tape… but that’s the look they’re going for.

There are multiple schools of thought on how ships should look. Some think they should look cool and sleek like Star Trek, or grungy like Star Wars, or purely functional like Kerbal Space Program/Children of a Dead Earth.

That said, they’re still ships in space man, appreciate 'em all. :)

SPAZ2 definitely mixes grungy with functional, but I like that it has its own look to achieve.

I personally love the look of ships in SPAZ 2. It fits with the general “lore” and I think it looks quite interesting with all the “neon” and whatnot.

If I remember correctly, SPAZ 1 mothership was ugly. It was intentional.

I haven’t played this since it first came out in Earn Access but I decided to fire up a new game last night. I can’t point to any one thing as being the reason, but I found myself being much more engaged and entertained this time around. It feels like it’s come a long way.

And yes, regarding the ugly ship, you literally put it together in a junkyard at the start of the game. After that, the ship is as cool or as ugly as you want it. Personally, I like how the ship kind of seems… I don’t know the word, “realistic” isn’t it, but you know what I mean. More plausible, in the sense that it’s a series of bolted on modules, kind of like the ISS. It’s not aerodynamic or sleek because this is a purely functional thing meant to get shit done in space, and you don’t need any of that crap. If you want to bolt on a hydroponics dome to the side of your ship and grow some tomatoes? Have at it!

Another big update just arrived with lots of great changes. This game just keeps getting better and better!

Details here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/252470/discussions/0/144513248277471482/

1.0 or GTFO :)

-Tom

Give you guys time to play speedball 2 while waiting for SPAZ2 then :-)