Space Rangers 2: Reboot

All I know is I have an original retail PC game which has Starforce. I don’t want to install that.

I live in North America, I am willing to pay good, well not-so-good American dollars for SR, SR2:Reboot sans Starforce. It looks like I can buy both of them digitally off totalgaming, unless I’m mistaken…

If the expansion becomes available to the continent-challenged, I’m willing to whip out my Visa and buy it. It’s only dollars.

[/li]I’m in the U.S., which I s’pose means I should get the complete version of SR2 off Impulse.

My Starforce version never has given me any troubles whatsoever. I have had it on my PC for a year or so.

While I am in here, is 1.3 the last English version of the original SR2? Anyone?

v1.3 is the latest English pre-Reboot version. v1.81 is the latest Russian pre-Reboot version.

Thought so, but could not google anything definitive. Was about to dip back into before I took the Reboot plunge.

Thanks Disconnected.

So, just to be clear. If I have the original US retail version, can I download this and run it or not?

I have Space rangers 2 on disk, and downloaded this just fine, tho, it installed it under a diffrent directory, and I had to copy it over into the original folder to get it to work. So If you get some weird ass error when you try to run it, try the old copy paste before a reinstall, since a reinstall involves downloading the whole damn thing again.

Theres also no readme that I can find which kinda sucks. Theres this little “Furnishing” tab on my ship info page with 3 selectable buttons along it, and no idea what it does.

Brad can you check for Australia as well ? I’d like to buy the Complete Pack through TotalGaming.net.

For those worried about Starforce the original game was available to all regions via Stardock Central and was Starforce free. I just hope the expansion becomes available to us non-Americans soon because I’m damned if I’m rebuying a game, no matter how good.

I need this overhaul, everything I read (I’ve seen more detail about it in the past, possibly here) had me dribbling. It changes all the rights stuff/

I just saw those too; I was clicking them, they lit up, and then either the game was fundamentally changed by what I did to the point where I wouldn’t recognize its massive changes immediately or it did nothing.

I figured out what the furnishing buttons do, its so you can swap out equipment from your cargo easily. Not sure how usefull it would be, but you could have the first one with your missile launchers or whatever, run outa missiles and hit the second furnishing button to switch to your lasers or whatever.

Oh and the rts missions are way harder now. Before it was just easy experience, but now the second rts mission I ran into is kicking my ass. Rushing, and making good use of long range weapons and repairbots.

Did anyone besides me like the RTS segments? I’m not sure they’d stand up well by themselves, but I loved that I’d spend a couple of hours flying around space, trading and shooting down dominators, then I’d spend an hour in this RTS and when I launched it was like the universe was new again.

Damnit, I need this expansion right now!

I hate the RTS segments with a passion. The ability to turn them off completely is the best thing that ever happened.

Yeah. They’re absolutely terrible.

You can turn them off now? That’s what convinced me to stop playing…

Why? They were always optional.

Hmm, maybe my memory is failing. Seems like I got to a point where those quests kept turning up.

Any time you get a mission, one of your options is something like “Don’t ever show me these missions again.” If you choose that option, you shouldn’t be bothered with that type of gameplay from then on (though I do think they throw them in from time to time in case you change your mind).

You should have a file called “Manual.exe” in your install directory. As you might have guessed, running it brings up the game’s manual. It does not contain a readme in the traditional sense, but there’s only the one version of the English release of the game & it does contain a brief overview of the differences between SR & SR2, as well as a fairly comprehensive breakdown of nearly everything in the game.

It’s perfectly safe to Alt-Tab out of SR2, and the manual is intended to be run alongside the game.

I don’t have a copy of Reboot, so I can’t help with the install issues, sorry.

I’m not sure what buttons you’re talking about, but assuming it’s the weapons tab in the main game screen (when you’re in space I mean), the buttons are used to manually aim your weapons. If those are the buttons you’re talking about, I urge you to read the manual right now, because auto resolving combat is downright suicidal. The auto pilot during combat will happily fly your spaceship right into a star, for example. Likewise, you’ll need manual aim to take out things like asteroids, comets, space junk too big for your grapple, and annoying things like missiles & the torpedoes of ultimate doom Dominators tend to send your way (really, try not to get hit by those).

IIRC, it only happens the first time you’re offered to fight a planetary battle (RTS mission) or text adventure. If you respond you don’t want to play those types of missions, you won’t be offered another until you start a new game. Otherwise they’ll crop up from time to time.

Text adventures only happens as part of government missions.
Planetary Battles are available for a limited time after a system has been freed from Dominator occupation.