Space Rangers HD next week on Steam!

Should I really buy this game a third time? Seriously?

(Who am I kidding, of course I will buy it and lose another two hundred hours to the damn thing… favorite turn-based game in ages, maybe ever.)

The later maps are more open and they include multiple enemy factions, so they’re quite a bit more complex than the tutorial.
I also don’t know if I’d call it a puzzle because I think you could win with different unit types (and on the other maps, different paths). That said, I found that there were fairly clear optimal designs (certain hulls have the most HP/cost and certain weapons seem to have the best DPS/cost). Beyond that it just seemed to come down to a grindy micro-management spam. The enemies have way, way more units and resources so you have to ambush them then pull back to repair your bots, rinse and repeat… a lot. If you like RTS and you need some quick cash, it’s probably worth playing through the first 1-2 missions past the tutorial.

I could have sworn the search function was mentioned in the tutorial, but it’s not hard to find. It’s one of the menu options when you’re in dock. In the original game there weren’t a lot of extra options to narrow it down, you pretty much got a dump of all the nearby planets and their market prices for all goods. I didn’t find there to be any real energy barrier to learning that part of the game at all.

So one of the new features I’m digging the most is the new pirates are a threat. They can take over entire systems now, and if you’re on okay terms with them, you can watch them totally swarm around a system without bugging you. It’s really nifty (and kinda scary) to watch.

So far the search function has worked fine as well with different commodities.

Exciting! Can you give some more details?
What happens when a system is controlled by the pirates?
Are the planets still accessible in a pirate controlled system and, if so, do the options when you are landed change?
Can you fight for the pirates against the coalition?

I’d be curious to know how different this is from the original. I don’t think the pirates could formally take over systems in the SR2 Reboot version I played, but they could certainly swarm a system unopposed for long stretches of time. I can’t remember (or maybe I never figured out) why the local military/police didn’t do more to shut the pirates down. It seemed like certain groups of pirates could attack with impunity in many systems, perhaps because they were aligned with the local race or something like that? And of course, some systems had pirate space stations just sitting there. As far as I know, those bases were never attacked either. I guess they’re all state sanctioned somehow.

In other cases, I was all too happy to see military ships launch from the planets to drive off those pirates.

It’s wackadoo. I’ll be in a system and it’ll be fiiiine, I’ll land, do my business, take off and boom, pirates everywhere. This happened at least a couple of times in front of me, while other times I’d get a report like one would get with a Dominator attack.

The next two questions can be answered by: it depends entirely on their attitude toward you. Some pirates, you have an awful rep with and they’ll attack you on sight, others you have an OK rep and will leave you be. Even the ones that hate you can sometimes be bought off if you have the coin.

I believe you can switch sides because one of the steam achievements has you switching back and forth 15 times I believe. Not sure how this is done though.

Easiest way, based on my experience with earlier versions, would be to donate lots of money at Business Centers. There’s a project you can fund which improves your relationship with the pirates. Getting them pissed at you is easy, blow up a few pirates. I bet they don’t like you funding system defence forces either.

I guess that is US-only. It’s not on steam when I search, there is only a trailer. And when I click on that - ‘This item is currently unavailable in your region’. Ah well screw it I’ll re-install the old Impulse version (if it still works).

Ohhhh, I’ll give that a shot. Thanks!

Very psyched for this, but I wish Steam would acknowledge its existence. It’s supposed to release in what, three days now, and search just takes me to a trailer link that’s region locked.

Same here, what with this and pool nation out on thursday should be a good weekend of gaming.

Me too. Is the publisher only American?

Does it have StarForce?

Supposedly, this releases tomorrow. However, there’s still no functioning link for it on Steam and it doesn’t appear in the “coming soon” list either. Does anyone know if we’ll actually get to play this on Thursday? Because I wants it, my precious, I wants it!

I was told by my press contact Thursday was the day, so hopefully that still rings true tomorrow.

I cant find it on steam however GMG and Gamers Gate both have it to pre order and state a steam account is needed. £17.99 seems a bit steep to me.

20 Euros is only high because I’ve already played the base game so much. I’ll be surprised if they’ve managed to make it feel like a new game but if they did, 20 Euros is nothing.

Hmmmm, I’ll go back to playing Space Pirates and Zombies and wait for a sale on this.