Space Sweepers - Netflix

I dunno what to make of this. Looks like pretty good production values; attractive Korean actors; bits and pieces of Red Dwarf, Firefly, Cowboy Beebop, and Hichhiker’s Guide.

Feb 5 on Netflix.

Yeah I thought Red Dwarf watching that trailer, though I’m sure this won’t be as funny. Still, I am curious what a Korean science fiction movie looks like so why not?

Have you not watched much Bong Joon-Ho?

Shoot - I put this in the wrong forum. Which explains why I didn’t get a hit when I searched for it.

Double fail.

I suspect ‘space science fiction movie’ is more what was meant there. And Bong Joon-Ho’s never done one of those to my knowledge.

Googled, I believe the only one I have seen is The Host, which I didn’t really care for all that much.

The trailer was cool. I might watch this.

Yeah it looks cool, I posted the other trailer in the Netflix Movie thread a while back, and it’s a movie not a series.

Looks ridiculous, but also looks like it might be fun. In the same way that Attack the Block was fun.

I initially thought they were going for a Planetes-like vibe from the opening but this looks like more of an action movie than I thought it’d be.

Oh hey, I found a review:

This thread is in the wrong forum, this is a movie not a series. @tomchick @Telefrog might want to consider moving it.

Anyhow, I liked it, it’s a good cast of characters even if the story has some issues and the ending kind of stretches credulity a bit. The bad guy could have been a bit better written or fleshed out too. There’s more English in it than I expected too, and seems more nationally targeted but there’s still I think some Korean drama tropes here. Looks pretty good special effects wise too, certainly doesn’t look its 21M budget.

Also it does not feel like 70 years in the future, it’s not just a matter of the tech but the expansion with all these satellite bases/colonies, wonder how the writers settled on 2092 as the date.

We watched it tonight also. I thought it was really good. Recommend watching with English (CC) subtitles, the English (not CC) subtitles don’t display for the segments that are in English (and possibly the other languages? It’s very polyglot.)

Watched it just now and really liked it. It was a fun ride, with some pretty good pacing and lots of twists and turns. Nothing “out of the box”, but there was tension in just the right amount, and I really liked the character arcs.

As for its faults… well, if you try to examine it too hard it starts to fall apart, in terms of science fiction, that is. There are more than a few “deus ex machina” moments and concepts depending on what the plot needs, and that hurts the movie a bit for the more analytical minds. And the main antagonist is a bit too “evil” without any time or effort to establish their motives, so it feels really forced.

But warts and all, it’s fun to watch, looks great, and it’s really entertaining. I really enjoyed my time watching the movie and I’m glad I did.