Spacebase Startopia - Keep your aliens happy

I kind of like Kalypso games but… this doesn’t sound great to me either.

To be fair, it’s among the more negative reviews I’ve seen, but none are entirely positive and none have given me any particular reason to play this over the original.

The original Startopia is easily on my top five favorite games of all time list, but I was not at all impressed with the original reveal trailer from two years ago, or whenever it was announced. I hadn’t even been following it, and didn’t realize until a couple days about that it was coming out today.

That review sort of confirms some of my worst fears, unfortunately. I’ll still play it at some point, but not for launch price. So disappointing. I had been wanting a Startopia remake for years now, but it sounds like they completely missed what was so fantastic about the original (as so often happens with remakes).

this review sounded pretty good

but it is 50$ … a bit much for my wallet.

Never played the original so went and picked it up, interestingly noticed the dev recently updated it in Feb.

I can’t imagine it’s a true update, since Mucky Foot hasn’t existed since 2003. I wonder what sort of “update” it was? Doubtful that it was any kind of content update.

EDIT: Incidentally, Startopia (the original) has aged really well. I do a replay of it every so often, and it never feels outdated to me. Hope you enjoy it!

Yeah, don’t think it was new content, here’s the post about it: Startopia 1.01.1 :: Startopia General Discussions

As for the Mucky Foot disappearance, looks like he just fired things up under a new name once he got rights back or something:

“I’m one of the Mucky Foot founders and original Startopia developers. My Little Planet (MLP) is the company I used for consultancy work a few years back, and having finally got the rights to Startopia and Urban Chaos returned to me, I’ve transferred those rights to MLP, hence the switcheroos happening around here recently.”

Anyway, my journey thru old games continues unabated, this one should be fun! About to take the training wheels off and start a new campaign for real in Sword of the Stars too!

Oh, interesting! Thanks for the links!