SPACED on BBC America

Finally…

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6333847.html?display=Breaking+News

If you’ve never seen SPACED, see it.

Spaced is awesome. It’s about time it was repeated here.

It’s out on DVD, they won’t repeat it, too cult.

Ok, why the hell isn’t this series up on Netflix? This is high on my to watch list.

US remake is on the way…

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117974978.html?categoryid=1236&cs=1&p=0

Spaced was awesome. I have low hopes for any remakes.

Gee, it only took them 7 years to do this!

I never got that. Spaced is one of my all-time favorite shows.

I just rewatched season 1 last week. About time this show was shown here. It will never be repeated on a non-BBC channel, though, because it ended 7 years ago. I just hope the American remake takes off as well as the Office remake did.

Because there isn’t even a legitimate Region 1 DVD for it. Regionless DVD players aside, right now you can either pirate it or not watch it at all.

Between this and the MST3K related announcements, I’m convinced the universe is specifically trying to fuck with me today…

Spaced would be a tricky sonuvabitch to remake for American audiences just because it looks so easy. No Britishisms, a very obvious style, pop culture references out the wazoo, and a really good sitcom hook.

The problem, however, is one of tone–each time I watch Spaced (all-region DVD player ftw!), my respect for how well Pegg’s fantasy oriented “guy’s” comedy counterpoints Stevenson’s self-deprecating, incisive “girl’s” character comedy increases. The show is more than the sum of its parts.

It also won’t be as much fun without the swearing. Or with a laugh track.

On the other hand, I totally dismissed the U.S. remake of The Office out of hand, so what the hell do I know?

I hope they do do a remake just so British people will bitch some more about Yanks ruining their shows.

America, FUCK YEAH! Fox orders pilot script for Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em.

Freedom costs 元1.05.

was this posted yet? makes me sad.

"SIMON’S OFFICIAL STATEMENT REGARDING THE US SPACED

Thoughts on the subject of an American Spaced. Feel free to skip to the end.
Now that the pilot has been officially announced, I thought it might be a good idea to clarify my position on the subject. The whole affair seems to have inspired some spirited debate and some heartening displays of loyalty and love. All this for a show which is almost 10 years old, is all rather wonderful and a vindication of all the blood, sweat and tears (both of joy and pain) we shed in the show’s creation. It was always our aim to create a comedy which spoke to its audience on such a personal level, it almost felt one on one. It would seem the fan reaction to the news that Fox has appropriated the format, confirms at least, that we succeeded.

As far as remaking TV shows for different territories is concerned, I don’t have a problem. The Office remake being a perfect example. Yes, the original British version is a wonderful and compact piece of comedy writing and performance, but I think it’s bit much to expect a large scale American television audience to fully relate to the minutiae of day-to-day business life in an obscure British suburb. I’m sure if you’re reading this, you are the type of person who takes pleasure in the variety of entertainment you enjoy, relishing the differences between our various cultural touchstones but there is a massive audience out there, which perhaps isn’t as culturally savvy (euphemistic phrase for ‘geeky’) as we are and need their signifiers to be a little more familiar. So, Slough is replaced by Scranton, and the office archetypes become a little more archetypal to an American audience. The spirit of the show remains intact. The performances are uniformly great and the show scores big ratings and wins EMMYs, whether we as comedy purists prefer the original or not. The success of the remake is born out by it’s undoubted success and appeal.

My main problem with the notion of a Spaced remake is the sheer lack of respect that Granada/ Wonderland/Warner Bros have displayed in respectively selling out and appropriating our ideas without even letting us know. A decision I can only presume was made as a way of avoiding having to give us any money, whilst at the same time using mine and Edgar’s name in their press release, in order to trade on the success of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, even professing, as Peter Johnson did, to being a big fan of the show and it’s creators. A device made all the more heinous by the fact that the press release neglected to mention the show’s co-creator and female voice, Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson). The fact is, when we signed our contracts ten years ago, we had neither the experience or the kudos to demand any clauses securing any control over future reversioning. We signed away our rights to any input in the show’s international future, because we just wanted to get the show made and these dark days of legal piracy seemed a far away concern. As a result, we have no rights. The show does not belong to us and, those that do own it have no obligation to include us in any future plans. You would perhaps hope though, out of basic professional respect and courtesy, we might have been consulted. It is this flagrant snub and effective vote of no confidence in the very people that created the show, that has caused such affront at our end. If they don’t care about the integrity of the original, why call it Spaced? Why attempt to find some validation by including mine and Edgar’s names in the press release as if we were involved? Why not just lift the premise? Two strangers, pretend to be a couple in order to secure residence of a flat/apartment. It’s hardly Ibsen. Jess and I specifically jumped off from a very mainstream sitcom premise in order to unravel it so completely. Take it, have it, call it Perfect Strangers and hope Balkie doesn’t sue. Just don’t call it Spaced.

It’s a shame, since the pilot is now a certainty, whether we like it or not, a simple phone call and a few reassurances might have helped to at least curtail the tide of indignation from fans and creators alike. I have, as of yet, heard nothing.

Simon Pegg"

I can’t add much more than that, other than to say you can copy the look, the dialogue, the characters, the situations and the plots of the show, but you can’t replicate heart.

Daisy Steiner Writes…
It’s my great pleasure to post a statement about the US Spaced from one Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson), who as ever, seems to sum up it better than me and Simon ever could dare to dream.

"Spaced in America by Jessica Hynes. March 4th 2008

Things have really hotted up in the last few days – ‘Simon Pegg vs Mc.G!’ ‘Mc.G is a fat douche bag!’ ‘It’s a f***ing travesty!’ (that’s fucking). I felt a tear come to my eye when I went on PINKRAYGUN.COM, because she kind of said it for me. When someone else fights your corner and feels your injustice for you it rocks, let me tell you. So can I just say thank you for that. You know who you are. x

It might make everyone feel better to know that I am planning a counter attack; A British re-make of ‘Charlies Angels’ called ‘Charlies Angles’ – about three female architects who love to design buildings make biscuits, and wear button up cardigans. That’s gonna hurt you Mc.G huh?– a remake of one of YOUR films with no titties?? Huh??! HUH!!!

Anyway I’m going to keep it short – just wanted again to reiterate that Simon, Edgar and I were not approached – at any stage or consulted in anyway. In fact I approached THEM in a very English way wondering if, you know I’d been in the garden when they called, but have been politely told that no official, meaningful involvement ( save wheeling us out to placate the fans) is possible.

So don’t watch it, don’t think about it – buy our D.V.D coming out in America in the summer and SAVE YOUR SOUL!!!"

Well then, rather than just ignoring the remake I will be actively cheering for it to fail.

Boo hoo. Poor Simon Pegg and company. Warner Bros. doesn’t throw money at them to shill for the remake, so Pegg throws a hissy fit to his fans. “Legal piracy”? “Sheer lack of respect”? Sheesh.

-Tom

"It was always our aim to create a comedy which spoke to its audience on such a personal level, it almost felt one on one. "

man, they really nailed that. shame about the bullshit going on with the US one.

I’ve sene the whole series but I’ll buy it as soon as they let me, its great fun to show people.

Oh please. It’d be one thing if he was just one of the actors, but as the co-writer and co-creator of the show, he’s got plenty of cause to be pissed, regardless of the legal situation. People have been asking for his comment ever since the news broke. Agree with his viewpoint or not, you’d rather he come up with some nicey-nicey bullshit instead of actually responding with how he actually feels?

Tom defending a US remake of a British show? You don’t say!

Just being a little snarky. I do enjoy the US version of The Office, as much as I wanted to hate it after seeing the useless pilot. But I think the situation is pretty different here - the original creators will have no say in this, and having McG as one of the creatives does not bode well IMO.

I think peg should do a british version of bosom buddies with nick frost if his movie career ever fizzles.

No US DVD release…

RELEASE A GOD DAMNED REGION 1 DVD!!!

This is seriously in the top 10 of my favorite shows of all time. And I am forced to watch it in not so legal ways. I would buy it!! Seriously!

Edit: Did Jessica mention a DVD release stateside? Finally…

Minor Spaced trivia:

The comics seen in the show were all drawn by Jason Brashill, who now works at Valve and who did all the concept art for GLaDOS.