Spam emails with no sender?

I’m seeing in my inbox lately a lot of spam where the “from” box is blank. Even though the subject lines are often similar, e.g. “Your antivirus subscription has expired,” I can’t create an Outlook rule to delete it, because Outlook says there’s no “object” there. Anyone else having this problem?

It’s very easy to fake email with any sender or header you want. Any spam avoidance strategy depending on static filters like that will fail. You should look at your email provider, I can say that gmail at least does a very good job.

The Yahoo mail spam filter has completely failed this year as it’s not at all smart. Many spam mails are now completely faking sender/subject with embedded UTF8 which translates to something like human readable text, but isn’t as easily regex filtered.

Is this mail from “МсА‌‌‌‌‍‍‍‌‌‌‌‍‬‬‌f‌‌‌‌‍‬‍‍ее Теаm‌‌‌‌‍‌‬‌‌‌‌‍‬‍‍‌‌‌‌‌‬‌‌‌‌‌‌‍‬‌‍‌‌‌‌‍‬‍‌‌‌‌‌‬‌‌‌‌‌‌‍‌‬‍‌‌‌‌‌ <>” or really

From: “=?UTF-8?B?0JzRgdCQ4oCM4oCM4oCM4oCM4oCN4oCN4oCN77u/4oCM4oCM4oCM4oCM4oCN4oCs4oCs4oCMZuKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjeKArOKAjeKAjdC10LUg0KLQtdCwbeKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAje+7v+KAjOKArOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjeKArOKAjeKAjeKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKArOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjeKArOKAjOKAjeKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjeKArO+7v+KAjeKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKArOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjeKAjOKArOKAjeKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjOKAjO+7v++7v++7vw==?=”,
[email protected]

Yeah. Gmail leaves next to nothing through. I can’t remember there last time I got one of those in my inbox.

I’ve seen those antivirus ones, but in my spam folder.

Wow, you must be using a better version of Gmail than I’ve got. Probably half the emails that come into my primary inbox(and buzz my watch) are spam. Almost all of them are the same style of fake Walmart or McAfee thing with an embedded picture that is nearly identical between all of them.

Weird. It catches all of those for me.

Gmail does a great job filtering spam for me as well, to such an extent that I really haven’t had any incentive to look for alternatives in many, many years. It occasionally hits a false positive, but very few false negatives.

Ya, the only stuff I get in gmail that’s weird is due to at least one idiot out there who continues to give out my email address as his. So, it’s not traditional spam, but is actually email that is intended to go to a real person. I’ve gotten legal documents and crap in the past.

I wish I could switch to GMail, but I’ve had my yahoo address for so long that, for business purlposes, it juist isn’t practical.

If you’re going to ever switch, do it to your own domain, not just to gmail. That’s worth the effort. Nobody can ever take my email addresses away.