Spatial Uniformity for the Casual User

On the advice of posters here, I switched from a CRT to a LCD monitor yesterday (specifically, a Hyundai L90D+). I was pleased to find no dead pixels, and the monitor performs well for gaming. However, after running all the monitor adjustment software, the upper left quarter of the screen is somewhat dimmer than the rest of the display. Thanks to Google and Tom’s Hardware, I now know this is variation in spatial uniformity.

Tom’s Hardware states that variations of about 15% brightness are typical for monitors in my price range. They have some fancy system for quantifying variation, and I was wondering if there was free or cheap software available for this purpose.

I’m debating returning the monitor, because I can easily see the difference in brightness. However, it’s my first LCD monitor, and I’m not sure if I’m overly sensitized to the variation, and if my expectations are realistic. If this is just a 5-10% variation, I may have similar issues with the replacement monitor, not to mention the possibility of dead pixels and the hassle and cost of shipping and returning this one.

Any leads on software that can provide output on variation in monitor brightness?

I’ve not tried this, but fill your monitor screen with rgb 128,128,128, and take a picture of it with a camera that doesn’t have any noticeable light falloff of its own.

Load the piture back into photoshop, and play around with the contrast to get a good idea of the size and shape of the variation.

Without using a light meter, though, there is no way to get any meaningful measurements of the brightness differences.

Do you have a photographer friend who might have a high-end digital lightmeter? You can use the fancy ones to scan an entire scene (in your case, monitor) and draw a line graph of all the light measurements.