Speakers in 2017 are kind of awesome

Minor update - I ended up picking up the SMSL SA-50 to pair with the speakers.

Works great! … although I wish there was also a headphone second output jack for the headphones.

Looks like phero.1 was kind of an a-hole but he had decent taste in music. Weird to start a whole topic for one song, but man, what a song.

I have these as my rear speakers, and an entire KEF system (Q550 front, Q200c center, Q50a Atmos modules for front, and subwoofer). I’ve always had a very good speaker setup, but this setup is far above anything I’d previously heard, anywhere, that it really is transformative – better than anything I could even imagine was possible, and so much better than the average theatrical movie experience. It’s got me buying a lot more movies on physical media than I expected given advances in streaming quality and options.

Fantastic! Since I cannot like your post to indicate I am appreciative of it, and that I feel it substantively adds to the conversation, I have now typed these words to that effect. Please cherish them.

I have just had your post tattooed on my body. Is that cherishing it enough?

I have also read your post and would like to acknowledge my receipt of the information you have presented to me. Thanks, and have a nice day!

Several recent posts here have been informative and brought positive energy to my day. In lieu of a way to call out individual posts, I shall instead type this broad, somewhat verbose notice to that effect.

I concur, and wish to indicate my agreement with your sentiments. Cheers!

The KEF setup that @Desslock has sounds amazing, but unfortunately we don’t all have the $ or space. I just got a Pioneer VSX-932 receiver along with a Q Acoustics set of speakers (3020s for the front, 3010s for the back, and the 3090c center channel). Unfortunately, because my wife wants them to be heard not seen, they won’t be on stands and when I want to watch a movie with them I will have to take out the rears and set them up every time.

Anyway, I am really enjoying them. I dug out the old Porcupine Tree 5.1 DTS music dvds I had and they are so great in this setup. Movies as well, of course, are fantastic. The scant TV content I have tried with them are great in the front channels, but it seems (depending on the show) that the rears are used seldom enough they don’t even need to be there.

I have only used internal tv speakers throughout my life. This is one of those great upgrades that improves not only new movies I buy and netflix shows, but also all movies I have bought in the past. Can’t wait to go through my old blu rays and start rewatching the classics in a more immersive environment. I think I will start with LOTR, then Star Wars, then the Alien series, etc…

One niggle is that I don’t have a subwoofer for them. I am tossing up whether to do it. I live in a townhouse and I am worried that I would have to turn a subwoofer so low (to avoid disrupting neighbours) that it wouldn’t be worth the price.

The next step is to get some upfiring Atmos speakers for the 4k discs I have that support it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I am watching them on a 2017 OLED. So good.

Sadly I can confirm that with shared wall neighbors I would not advise getting a standalone subwoofer :(

Also if your spouse is already not liking the rear speakers, I don’t think she would like an additional subwoofer box either.

But if you do live somewhere where a subwoofer is feasible, Hsu Research VTF-2 or VTF-3. Dang. Over the past year I replaced my cheapo Onkyo HTIB speakers with a set of Klipsch RP-series speakers and a VTF-2 Mk5 and the sound is amazing.

I recently got the Alan Parsons-produced 4.0 quad mix of Wish You Were Here, and it’s just an amazing sonic experience.

Games are pretty freaking awesome, too, when my wife’s not home and I crank them. :)

Subwoofers are for dudes with small dicks who don’t like girls. There, I said it.

Oh, is this not a computer speaker thread? I could’ve muted it this whole time!

One of my speakers is noticeably quieter after I had my house cleaned on Monday. I might be in the market for one.

I been using these:

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2

The 42x has a built in amp so it’s simpler. Also got a set of 42s with no amp which is somewhat more annoying because I ended up buying 3 different mini amps for it.