Spellforce 3 is a thing?

I tried a skirmish in… Fallen God or whatever the latest was, and then I played the vanilla campaign. Definitely a big disparity between the two with regards to controls, UI, etc.

I know they are supposed to be backporting a lot of those improvements to the base game still. Maybe it will coincide with the console release (I haven’t been able to watch the trailer yet)?

I’m hopefully. If the updates are being backported to the main game, I’ll look into picking it up on the next sale.

I’ve got Fallen Gods on my list of games that I will be playing though. I really liked the first expansion, and the second is supposed to be just better.

PR snippet:

Publisher THQ Nordic and developer Grimlore Games have announced real-time strategy and RPG hybrid SpellForce III Reforced for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. It will launch on December 7 for $39.99 / €39.99 / £34.99.

Users who already own the PC version of SpellForce III will receive a free upgrade to SpellForce III Reforced day and date with its release.

Niiiice, sounds like this is the backport of improvements they were working on. Looks like I pulled this out of the backlog at the right time!

Very nice.

Excellent!

Thought Fallen Gods was the third. I enjoyed it, jank and all. Very weird playing as Trolls. Voice acting is pretty bad, but the game is fun.

Fallen Gods was the Second Expansion. I played through the first expansion, Soul Harvest.

https://grimloregames.com/spellforce-3-reforced-on-pc-consoles/

Differences between SpellForce 3: Reforced and the original SpellForce 3:

1. Enhanced campaign experience
  • Improved RTS mechanics and reworked RTS faction designs, introduced in the two expansions
  • Reworked Skilltrees
  • Improved quests
  • Improved Coop Mode
  • Improved loot distribution
  • Improved balancing
  • Complete rework of the hub
  1. Visually and functionally enhanced User Interface
  2. Gamepad Support
  3. A new skirmish map (will also be available in the free to play SpellForce 3: Versus Edition)
  4. Journey Mode: An additional game mode similar to the original SpellForce’s “Free Game Mode”, providing more than 20 hours of unique content and a lot of replay value. Can be played in Coop!
  5. Journey Skirmish: Play PvP skirmish matches against other players with your overpowered journey heroes
    7. Arena Mode: An additional endless game mode where you start with a fresh character, fight against waves of monsters, and buy loot and spells from merchants to compete with other players in the leaderboards. Can also be played in Coop!
  6. Mod Support for the new Journey and Arena modes. Create your own Journey or arena maps and share them with the community.

That Arena Mod looks interesting. I wonder if it will be like Dawn of War 2 set up.

Oh very neat!

That’s the first place my mind went to! DoW2!

If it exists, I will need to jump aboard that game mode as soon as possible.

So, Spellforced 3 Reforced is out! Has anyone played it?

I tried the journey mode and it’s very poorly explained. Plus there’s no save once you switch to a map with a contract on it, which I cannot stand.

I am a bit confused. I bought Spellforce 3 Reforced yesterday but when I launch it I see Spellforce 3 Versus. I double checked my email and Steam thanked me for buying S3 Reforced.

Do I play Reforced by playing offline? If so I only see one campaign, is that how this work?

I probably shouldn’t even attempt to answer since I don’t know a lot of details, but my understanding is that S3 Reforced would be the updated/modernized original campaign that existed in Spellforce 3 to bring it up to speed with later ones. Unless the store page states otherwise, I would expect that to be the only campaign.

Spellforce 3 Versus is the free multiplayer component to the game. Prior to Spellforce 3 Reforced, I think it may have been a separate shortcut/executable for me? I’m trying to remember.

In any case, sorry I can’t really answer your questions, hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer. If you’re seeing one campaign available, I do think that would be the remodeled Spellforce 3 campaign advertised in Reforced.

Thanks for this. When I launch and play offline then click on campaign I get a scenario called Old Haalayash. No intro video or tutorial that I see. For those that have played Spellforce 3 is this the campaign? There is another sort of option called Spellforce 3 - Burning Blood but it says that it is not installed. I don’t recall that being an option when I installed Reforced.

EDIT: NM I looked in my library and I also need to install Spellforce 3 Reforced. Odd, Spellforce 3 Reforced did not show up in the column of games in my library but it did show up as one of the pictured games to the right of the column which is why I missed it.

I see this got a big update recently and is on sale for ten bucks - but I’m very confused about the various expansions/options. Do I just get the base game for $10? Or the “stand alone expansion” for $5? Does the base game have the content introduced with the expansions if I own them? What version am I supposed to be buying/playing?

Reforced is basically a remaster of Spellforce 3’s campaign. The standalone expansions contain the campaign for that expansion, NOT previous campaigns.

The various standalone expansions are separate executables, from what I recall.

Gotcha. Would you recommend the expansions? The base game is $10 and the bundle with the expansions is $20 right now, but I don’t know if I really care enough to play stand alone campaigns when one will do, unless I’m told they are amazing and something not to be missed.