Spellforce: Conquest of Eo is like Age of Wonders and Thea made a baby

I had some Spellforce games in my library from GOG but have never played them. Picked this up on the Epic sale and decided to give it a whirl. Have to say, I’m enjoying it but I truly suck at it. I missed some key features somehow, early on, like dropping Hero lodges and how to gain gold/mana income and I started struggling. I’ve been attempting to haul myself out of a gold hole for a very long time, selling off my inventory to keep myself afloat and my tower enhancements have stagnated.

It didn’t help when my main army stack got wiped out in a battle, either. Turns out I also missed what glyphs were for and hadn’t noticed that I could apply them, and other items/trinkets, to units and heroes. I was creating the glyphs but got so distracted doing sidequests I didn’t look up what they were for until hours into my first game.

Well, it’s a harder way to learn the lessons but despite that I can see the game’s value and will likely play it for a while, getting my money’s worth for sure. I’d restart this terrible first attempt if I didn’t like taking the punishment for not paying attention to whatever tutorial told me what I should do. It’ll be fun just seeing if I can recover.