Spellforce: Conquest of Eo is like Age of Wonders and Thea made a baby

Yes, reduced to broken status. Regardless, they did not indicate as targetable by the consumable, and attempting to use it just initiated a regular attack instead. Hence digging in to how to identify slaveable.

FWIW I had issues with that too.

I think every unit is enslavable unless it states in their traits that they are immune to it. Once a unit it broken then I think there is a 33% chance that throwing the potion will succeed in enslaving them. There is also something like a 66% chance it will fail. It sounds like you’ve been unlucky.

I think the slaver trait that some units can get, or the slaver glyph, do not have the same high failure rate that the potions do and can always enslave when a unit is broken.

Edit: If you can target the unit with the potion and actually throw it at them, then that means they are broken to the point you can use the potion and you are doing it right. Then you have to just hope the RNG is kind.

Sorry if this has come up before but this thread has had well two hundred posts since I last visited it…

I’m thinking of getting back to this and starting a new game; is Necromancer still “weak” compared to the other guys? People initially had some gripes about it that they didn’t have with the others, like apprentices not matching skills to the needs of the class or something like that. Did they change/fix this? Thanks a bunch.

After playing all three classes, I consider necromancer to be the strongest. I think people out there considering it a weak class was just them not knowing how to play it correctly. I didn’t find the apprentices to be an issue. Then again I tend to shop around to find apprentices that I want. I don’t just grab the first one I find.

Cool, thanks for that, I’ll roll one up and be my most evil self.

@coldsteel posted a Necromancer guide earlier in the thread that was really useful for me.

Necromancer seems to be the fastest route to Tier 3 units, and it turns out the other mages are really vulnerable to getting rushed before they get mad at you. I had a stack that could knock out the main mage towers by week 9 in my last game.

I did have trouble finding more than one apprentice after the free one that was “thematically appropriate” (meaning undead) but it didn’t feel like it limited me that much.

The Elixir of Subjugation says it “applies” Enslaved to a Slaveable unit so when you target a Slaveable unit (one that is Broken or Routed) it will Enslave the unit 100% of the time. Abilities that say “can apply” Enslaved have a 30% chance, but again the unit must be Broken or Routed. Also, you cannot Enslave units that Immune to Psychology like Undead and Titans.

I suspect the issue the earlier poster was having was finding units that are actually broken or routed. There are 3 stages of morale damage and the first one (Disrupted IIRC) does not confer slaveable status. You have to demoralize the target past Disrupted down into Broken or Routed for them to become slaveable. (Red unhappy face on their icon. - A yellow unhappy face is not enough.)

But the Elixir is 100% once you target the right units.

That distinction between “applies” (100%) and “can apply” (30%) is true of all statuses I believe. Generally potions and other consumable are “applies” while things that attach to attacks are “can apply”, with some exceptions.

You have explained it very well, but I am 100% certain of attempting to use the Elixir on broken status units. The funky thing is (1) they just do not show up as targetable once the Elixir is selected and then (2) clicking onto them just initiates a regular attack.

Reporting back after retesting:

I found a fight with some Tier 3 War Trolls, which are great for testing this because they regenerate health, which helps keep them alive whilst reducing their morale.

War Troll was reduced to Broken status.

I tried, three times, to apply the Elixir of Subjugation. Each result was the same. Doing so just initiated a regular attack, and the Elixir does not get used.

I made a quick Loom video to show this https://www.loom.com/share/e674ddb3eb3745d1a6de142854fa21bc

Not shown in the video, I subsequently reduced the Troll to Routed status and tried again, same result.

Are war trolls immune to psychology? I think they might be iirc.

They do not have that status / ability, I checked. I have also gotten the same results on Iron Beaks, Gryphons and Bears however, hence really interested to learn if anyone has successfully used these Elixir’s to subjugate anything, and specifically what things.

War trolls definitely can be enslaved from what I’ve read so something isn’t right. Were you able to target the trolls with the potion without a red outline around them? I used one of those elixirs on a broken medusa to enslave it and I had a really hard time figuring out how to target and use the potion. I think I remember I had to highlight the unit first using right or left click and then use right (or left) click to throw it? Something like that. It was tricky.

Thanks because I think I had this backwards in my explanation.

New patch with a supposedly improved autoresolve calculation.

Is it possible that you were the victim of this bug that was just fixed in the patch? Did your unit throwing the potion have any focus left?

• Fixed Elixir of Subjugation item costing focus to use (unit-skill still costs focus)

Mmm, interesting, will check it out, yet I am confident I have been trying it on units with remaining focus . . . lets see!

Edit: Woohoo! It works! I enslaved some Gryphons, then immediately cast the Mentalist spell Follower on them. Result = Tier 3 Gryphons with full stats, no upkeep.

I imagine the ability costs 3 or 4 focus to use so your unit should probably have at least 4 focus to be safe.

Unless they changed it in todays patch, War Trolls are definitely enslaveable, I had about 15 sitting around in various stacks during the game where I cast Slaver on my entire doomstack.

Are Tiara’s prists worth it? They seem extremely expensive for what they are. I am guessing they are one of these units that gets amazing advancements or something?

Yep! A lot of the casters only really come into their own once they level, the priestesses are definitely a good example of that.

They are a combo healer / ranged white DPS, in my experience. Their healing is a little indirect–on the first round I’d cast their regeneration spell on my three frontline units (usually I’ll have three that end up taking damage). It’s a weaker healing than a dedicated unit (alchemist, some heroes), but after the first turn (when nobody’s doing anything anyways) you don’t need to spend their turn healing, they instead get to put out the damage. IMHO it’s a better use of the limited stack slots than other healers, but YMMV.