Spelunky 2 - Bring Your Daughter to Work day

Found a 10 minute video interview with some footage (some old, some new, I think) with Derek Yu. This sounds so good.

Here is the video:

Here is a gif I made of a freaking clone gun!
Spelunky2CloneGun

Looks like this is (likely) getting delayed to 2020 - but for the best reasons. According to a tweet by Yu, there is just a ton of stuff in the game to make sure it’s ready before it goes live.

Link to tweet:

He goes on to mention that he took early criticism of the art to heart and has worked on improving it, though he mentions some of the issue was seeing the game in compressed videos, and I personally dug (har) the way it looked before, I have to admit this is a marked improvement. I grabbed the image he presented (on the right) and put it next to a screen grab (taken from YouTube, so it’s not a totally fair compare) from the PS4 trailer to show off the same environment. You can see lots and lots of new details in everything from the chain blocks to the walls themselves.

So, a delay, but for the best of reasons. Take your time, I say.

Everything looks like cupcake frosting.

Guess I’ll just keep doing daily Spelunky runs in the meantime. I still haven’t beat it going through Hell, after all.

And I still see you outranking me in Daily Challenge!! I suck!

I hate “good news” that I thought was already the news as we understood it, but in that category Derek Yu has announced Spelunky 2 is coming in 2020! Wait, what? Wasn’t that already the plan?

It was supposed to come in 2019, and in August of 2019 he said it “might not make it this year” due to wanting to make sure everything was as polished and awesome as possible and that they had made the game much bigger/denser than originally anticipated. Well, that’s fine and great! But then 2020 came and now we are 4 months in and still no word, until …today? I know he has also been working on UFO 50 - a collection of 50 small old-school-esque video games from various genres and such, and that sounds cool but his studio is several people, I assumed they had two teams working on both with his (I assume) input. Well, today I guess they have decided to officially put UFO 50 on hold to focus all hands on Spelunky 2 and get it done and ready for a 2020 release, and will work on UFO 50 after that. I …guess I thought that was always the plan. Can I be annoyed they were working on two things at once and that seems to be the reason S2 isn’t out yet? Sigh. Well, okay, better late than never, I guess.

I’m really curious about how this will turn out. The roguelite genre has moved on so far from the game that originally launched it, and most of the original roguelites were happy accidents by creators who didn’t fully understand what made them tick (see Binding of Isaac). I’m still not sure how much Derek understands his own game – Spelunky Enhanced’s changes from Spelunky classic didn’t exactly give me confidence that he did.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I need this game.

Every time I see this thread get bumped, I hope it is finally time. Alas…

I’ll keep trying to finish a Hell run in the first game for now. Also, I don’t know how people pull off Speedlunk and No-Gold. I’ve tried and gotten nowhere near close.

LOL yeah, I suppose you never know. I’d like to think the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel isn’t a year out though. :)

2020’s GOTY has a release date!

That trailer is really, really doing it for me.

My opinion is having it be a PS4 launch first and not day/date on PC and XBOX is going to cause a problem for the community, I’m not sure that was the best move for Derek and company, but I’m sure they have their reasons. It comes out on PC very soon after PS4 though, so that’s not terrible, and I’d rather they drop it on PS4 first and then Steam rather than delay the PS4 version to get it out on PC on the same day. Still, I see lots of dislikes on that trailer and I am sure it’s the XBOX community being very disappointed, and I can empathize.

That said, I’ll get this on PS4 day 1 just to play it right away and enjoy it on my TV, and when it comes out on PC I’ll probably abandon the PS4 version to play it there. Though I can also see myself triple-dipping for a Switch copy at some point.

At 2:40 in the trailer the player is on a rope, shoots an arrow through a torch that is too close to him, which ignites the arrow and the flaming arrow not only lights up a row of torches but sets the rope on fire the player is on. /Chef’s Kiss

Mossmouth are going to save 2020! WOOOOO!

Not on Steam the same day is a big bummer.

Well, the alternative looks like delaying the PS4 version until the PC version is ready. I think they made the right call. Unless they could have shipped the PC version on the same date with the PS4 without online multiplayer and had that come as a patch later, in which case they made the wrong call.

I’m so glad they changed the graphic directions. I didn’t like where it was headed when I saw a preview trailer a couple of years ago. This one looks a lot like Spelunky 1 and that is such a relief! Can’t wait to play it in Steam!

Still looks inferior to Spelunky 1 IMO.