Spending $ on hobbies

So Brian Rubin’s computer shopping thread has me thinking about topic of spending money on hobbies.

How do you guys go about making decisions on how much to spend on hobbies?

Personally, my wife and I don’t set rigid budgets. We spend what we spend. We’re very fortunate to have fairly high incomes and frugal mentalities. As a result, we don’t have any substantial debt (beyond the home mortgage) and a fair amount of disposable income. As a result, I don’t have fixed amount allocated to my hobbies (mainly gaming (PC and board) and a bit of figure collecting). I might spend zero dollars on hobbies in one month and then a few hundred the next.

The weird flip side of not having a fixed amount is that I obsess a little bit about every spending decision. I’m very cognizant of my backlog of games and also, on the collecting side, that there’s definitely diminishing return (e.g., enjoyment) out of additional purchases. Moreover, I’ll actually enjoy something less if I think I didn’t get a good deal for it.

Striking a balance between just enjoying my hobbies and my innate frugal-ness is tough. What do you guys do?

I got married.

Poorly. Terribly, even.

I’m mostly the same way, as is my SO. That being said, we fall within a loose limit and budget for bigger items. Hobbies never seem to come close to that limit, unless you count, “traveling for vacations,” a hobby, and some people would. My biggest ticket hobby is boating, and I very much covered that conversation with my SO. And I’m not even married yet.

Over many years I’ve really tried to reign in spending on gaming and gaming systems. I’ve fallen back to just PC gaming versus PC+console as an example. I’ve also tried (somewhat) to hold back on purchases during sales. Still, maybe to the tune of a few hundred a -year- not a month, for gaming anyway.

I use a program on my phone to keep track of my expenses. This one:

It’ll tell you whether, over the last 30 days for example, if you’ve kept more than you’ve spent, so it’s easy to see when I’m not spending too much. Then, if a game comes out that looks interesting, and I’m in the positive, I’ll likely get it.

Brian, how does that app populate? Do you manually enter every receipt/purchase?

Yup, sure do.

That sounds suspiciously like actual work.

Like Skipper, my hobby spending comes nowhere near being actually financially constrained by things like positive/negative cashflow—I’d have to spend a ton to make that the case. So, I fortunately/unfortunately have to make hobby-spending decisions on different criteria. I’ve researched/agonized more about spending $50 on a board game than I have buying a new TV for 20X or 30X that amount.

It’s not bad at all, and I typically hate tedious stuff like this.

We are in the same canoe as Mr. Grapes. Very frugal, zero debts, no reason to budget anything. yet I still torture myself over every $10 purchase and think really, really hard over a $60 purchase.

I keep telling myself I should buy a new video card but I held off on the last generation and now I am thinking I should wait for the 2080ti when they haven’t even announced the 2080.

My brother from a different mother!!

Every time I make an attempt to “break” my cheapness by splurging, I end up souring the experience by feeling bad about getting ripped off. Talk about first world problems.

Having more or less abandoned digital gaming in favor of tabletop gaming, and not having time to buy/read new systems, I control my spending by basically having free or at least very cheap hobbies.

More seriously, my primary hobbies these days are cooking, concerts, and tabletop RPGs. Digital media comes in a distant fourth in terms of time, though it’s probably the priciest thing overall.

Cooking is a de facto cost, insofar as my partner and I need to eat, and even with the occasional kitchen gadget purchase, we spend way less with me cooking for us than we would eating out more often. In fact, since the overwhelming majority of my pricey kitchen tools (stand mixer, Indian mixer/grinder, food processor, slow cooker, pressure cooker, my best knives, most of my serving utensils, most of my pots/pans) have been gifts or were inherited when we first moved out, the cost is almost entirely just ingredients, so alarmingly close to $0 “unnecessary dollars.”

Concerts are my personal largest non-essential expense by a pretty wide margin. However, since most of the bands I like aren’t especially popular and tend to play at really small venues, the average ticket I buy is about $10-20. Even seeing an average of two shows a month, this is a relatively small cost over the year. Probably about $300-400 total each year. Especially since even the ones that are far away are carpools where the gas costs are shared.

Tabletop RPGs are cheap once you own the books, and since I mostly run and play the same handful of systems, none of which have very many splatbooks, this hobby has become extremely cheap. Sure, back when I was kitting out my Hero Lab license with digital copies of two dozen Pathfinder rules supplements to let me easily build crazy monsters to challenge my players with, I might spend $20-30/mo, but nowadays, my expenditure is essentially zero. About once a year, I have to buy new dry erase/wet erase markers (for my whiteboard for notes and vinyl gaming mat for maps) and sets of note cards (for quick notes to players/Fate Aspects), but we’re seriously talking about like $15.

A couple of times a year, I’ll splurge and buy a new digital rulebook. I bought a set of dice last year for a new game I was going to GM (a big bag of mismatched d10s). Total RPG spending year-over-year is probably $100 tops.

Digital media is probably the priciest thing total. Between Netflix, Hulu, Google Play Music/Youtube Red, and my Dropbox subscription, we’re on the hook for $55/mo, give or take, which technically makes it pricier than the concerts. But since most of these are shared/required by my partner, and she splits the costs with me, it doesn’t hurt that bad, and isn’t entirely my choice to make anyway, hah. A lot of months I may only use the Play Music and Dropbox portions of this

Bout $700-800 out of my own pocket for a whole year’s worth of hobby joy, including an average of 2 RPG sessions/week, 2 concerts/month, 10-12 homecooked meals/week, and enough bingeable TV to keep my entertained during any remaining downtime :)

TL;DR: So, ya know, somewhere in the ballpark of $60/mo in actual hobby spending. Which isn’t a tiny amount by any means, but now that my gf is working and more than doubling our household income, it’s also very affordable. We put the remainder into savings/paying off our debts.

I concur. For convenience, my wife and I buy most stuff on one rewards credit card and pay it off monthly, and I get phone notifications for purchases, so I can plug numbers right into the expense app on my phone. Really makes category-based budgeting easy.

To answer the question in the original post, that’s how we handle it—we have a ‘discretionary’ category; that’s our limit for hobby spending per month.

Mint.com is good for tracking.

Otherwise I use a spreadsheet to calculate income vs expenses. That way, each month I know ballpark how much money we can spend on fun stuff, and how much we need to reserve for bills.

Luckily we make enough money together that our income grants us plenty of flexibility to spend like we typically frugally do (I buy maybe 20-60 bucks a month in games, depending on the month) and still have money to put into a savings account and an investment portfolio.

I’m glad that in the Steam era gaming is such a cheap hobby.

I spend $5 here, $10 there. Even so there’s backlog enough to last me years.

My other big hobby is piano, which is already paid for in terms of the instrument. Lessons? No chance on current budget. Just have to teach myself, as I have for most of my life.

Really the only nonessential expenditure north of $50 and south of $10,000 I’m likely to even think about these days is travel. And it’s hard to get too excited about travel when you know you’d be spending all your time watching a hyperactive toddler, only in a foreign country where maybe you don’t speak the language.

Essentials are paid for (rent, car, food, insurance) and after putting the rest either into retirement or college fund for the little one, there’s not a dime to spare. And both of those are black holes into which any size of contribution would still be ‘not enough.’

Not really complaining. Again, lucky my primary hobby is gaming and not golf or something. It turns out that once you cover the middle-class bases, I don’t really need much, except the feeling that said middle-class coverage will continue.

I’m a bit like you. I can do some gaming now and then but it’s so cheap now if you don’t need the AAA games at release. I have a huge backlog, most games I probably will never play.

Reading is another hobby but again, books are cheaper than ever and I have a big backlog. I can get free ebooks on loan from the library.

Tennis is another one, but how much does a can of balls cost? I bought a ball machine last year for $650 but that’s now a sunk cost and should hold up for several years. New strings now and then I guess, but still tennis is far, far cheaper than golf. I can play a couple of times a week for a month or two and spend exactly $0.00.

Other than that the GF and I enjoy dining out but we split an entree now and a side plate. We get a big meal for one person and split it.

Travel is the big one, but that’s once a year it seems, for now. Travel is also vacation so I’m not sure that qualifies as a hobby.

It surprises me how little we want, really.

Personally, I consider travel as separate from hobbies. Unlike the hobbies, we spend pretty freely on the travel, probably in the 20X-30X amount compared to the hobbies, per year, because we have two kids. The frugalness that affects my hobby spending (e.g., agonizing over a $50 game) doesn’t affect my spending habits for things like travel or eating out. The mind works in mysterious ways.

I’ve often thought about that. I can spend $50 dining out without blinking, but $50 on a game now seems like a huge amount. And dining out is a couple of hours of fun vs maybe 20-40 hours of fun with a game.

Dining out is a chief way to socialize with that significant other, though. Gaming is a solo thing. It can push away the other person.

For PC games and books the real constraint is time not $. I will buy as I consume, but because of an inbuilt sense of moderation and the sheer abundance of games out there most of the games I buy are significantly discounted. Books are different, they’re all fairly cheap and because it’s a productive use of time I don’t mind if I am spending more than I usually do.

For bigger items I will tell the wife what I am planning to do and that’s it. She would only get annoyed if it’ll take up alot of room and clutter, we are fortunate that we earn enough to not have to worry about budgeting hobby stuff (at least at our spending levels).

I use to have a limit of 1 game / month. But since I moved to consoles and played a lot of free to play games, that limit is now useless.

I recently implemented another limit: do not buy a game from serie, if I have a game from that serie unfinished. So I will probably not buy the next GTA, or Assasin Creed, because I don’t finish these games (But I enjoyed Origin that I accidentally bought very cheap somewhere).

Another limited I have is … I will be my best friend, I gift me things on important events. But only these times. Since theres only one Xmax, or one birthday, that can’t go too far.