Spider-Man 2017 - Maybe this time

Tom Holland (The Impossible, Wolf Hall) is your new Peter Parker. Jon Watts will direct the next Spidey movie.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/24758/sony_pictures_and_marvel_studios_find_their_spider-man_star_and_director

Commenting on the announcement, Tom Rothman, Sony Pictures Motion Pictures Group Chairman, said, “It’s a big day here at Sony. Kevin, Amy and their teams have done an incredible job. The Marvel process is very thorough, and that’s why their results are so outstanding. I’m confident Spider-Man will be no exception. I’ve worked with a number of up-and-coming directors who have gone on to be superstars and believe that Jon is just such an outstanding talent. For Spidey himself, we saw many terrific young actors, but Tom’s screen tests were special. All in all, we are off to a roaring start.”

Feige commented, “As with James Gunn, Joss Whedon, and the Russo brothers, we love finding new and exciting voices to bring these characters to life. We spent a lot of time with Jon and find his take and work inspiring.”

Still half expect to see Spidey in Civil War.

Is this another reboot? Are we on #3 now?

Tom Holland, by the way:

AFAIK, He is going to show up in Civil War.

I keep reading that name and thinking they went with Tom Hollander, which would have been an unusual choice, but awesome, especially if he wears those short shorts that he wore in Hannah.

Holy crap, is this yet another reboot? I never saw the Amazing Spider Man movies, guess I can drop those off the queue now.

Kevin Feige said they will not do an origin story for Spider-Man in the Marvel cinematic universe.

“It will not be an origin story,“ Feige stated. “But, with great power comes great responsibility. It is inherent to who his character is. But we want to reveal it in different ways and spend much more time focusing on this young high school kid in the MCU dealing with his powers.”

The problem is that they have to at least do a few snippets of his origin to establish his backstory - not the Uncle Ben stuff (although for sure they will touch on it, because they can’t resist, and should), but aspects of his powers like whether where his webs come from, etc.

He is apparently in Civil War, shooting now.

Do they? Really? Is there anyone who doesn’t know who Spiderman is?

That’s like asking if there was anyone that didn’t know who Superman was before Man of Steel.

Yeah, but Man of Steel had a revisionist take on Superman, while not being willing to commit to a straight origin story. (This was one of the many reasons it was garbage.)

If you a commit to a straight take on Spidey, I don’t think you don’t need an origin. You can just drop him into things and sell the audience on this incarnation through action.

Well, doing a new Spider-Man movie without retelling his origin story makes complete sense. But introducing him in Civil War has me a little nervous. Just introducing any more characters into a Captain America movie that’s grown into Avengers 2.5 is risky, but here, even totally skipping the origin story on screen, there’s could be a little “origin confusion baggage”.

If they just rebooted Spider-Man in his own movie, you’d go into it, know you’re going to see a Spider-Man movie, see unfamiliar faces, but understand the context and fill in the gaps, because you’re in a Spider-Man movie.

Going into what’s ostensibly a Captain America movie and seeing someone you’ve never seen before wearing a Spider-Man costume might raise more questions like “Wait is the supposed to be the same guy?” “Is that really Spider-Man?”

Maybe I’m overthinking it though. Maybe it will be clear from the marketing, maybe his role will be small enough it won’t matter, maybe his role will be large enough it won’t be confusing.

Mostly I just don’t want the people behind my favorite Marvel movie (Winter Soldier) getting pushed into something other than the story they want to tell for its sequel.

Who has the petition for mechanical web shooters?

I’ll just continue to pretend Raimi’s Spiderman 2 was the last attempt.

Hear, hear. That was a great film, as was the first.

My favorite too, and it’s not even really close. I think they’ll be fine - they’re in control of the entire Avengers franchise now, and while I’m similarly concerned that this and their next 2 movies have mandated content with a lot of characters, I’d rather have them in charge of sorting through it than anyone else.

I’d kill to see someone with the acting chops of Toby McGuire inserted into the Marvel film universe. Heck, the guy still looks like he’s in his early 20’s today.

Yes he does - here he is yesterday: Tobey Maguire steps out with wife Jennifer Meyer and son Otis in Venice | Daily Mail Online

That said, pretty much the last thing I’d complain about the Marvel movies for is their casting - I think they’ve done a remarkable job, for the most part.

Oh, I agree. Marvel Studios has done an outstanding job (for the most part) with their casting and directorial choices. I was saying McGuire as opposed to some younger, relatively unproven talent like Holland.

He’s quite athletic, it has to be said. There are some Vine clips of him doing minor gymnastics (backflips, etc.) and such, pretty nifty. And in those he has the perfect build, and his face in 3 dimensions looks better, more PP-ish, than that picture would suggest.

Asa Butterfield looked more Ditko-ish Parker, Holland looks more like Romita Parker.