Spider-Man: Homecoming - Spider-Man and the MCU

Yeah, I suspect the reason the Guardians are right there at the start is that Star Lord is trying to save his home planet from getting involved. Unfortunately, that damn Stone is down here in Vision’s head.

Civil War is pretty great because it lets you take sides. It’s also clear that both sides believe in some of the things the other side is fighting for. It’s like the real world where things are always a lot more grey than black and white.

The handling of Spider-Man in Civil War was awkward because, due to the licensing dispute, they had to write and shoot it in such a way that they could remove all his scenes without redoing the movie. The parts with Spider-Man can all be lifted without damaging the narrative. Even his scenes at the airport, they’re all pretty isolated and they could be removed or replaced without really changing the scene at all. He has 1-on-1 interactions with characters, those could just be cut, and takedown of Giant-Man may have had an alternate take with Vision going into his head and making him pass out or something.

OMG this has got to be one of the best Marvel movies I’ve seen. It is what Ant-man tries to be but isn’t: lighthearted and full of gags. Peter Parker in this movie is almost anti-Tony Stark: earnest, resilient, and has no ego. And they still managed to weave this seamlessly into MCU.

Hey, remember that timeline issue this movie introduced?

All of that debate has made us go, ‘Okay, at some point, I’m not sure exactly when, we’re going to publish a timeline and see what it all is.’ It wasn’t meant to flummox anybody exactly, and I’m not sure I’d do it again the same way, but it does all connect to where we placed it. Other than very particular instances where there’s a newspaper, or verbal reference to years, we never date the films. And I think there’s a presumption, ‘Well if the movie came out in November 2017, it must take place in November 2017’ – which is not the case.

The specifics of the timeline, looking at… I’ve loved timelines, I love the Star Wars timeline, with the Battle of Yavin, everything is either After The Battle Of Yavin, Before The Battle of Yavin. We’re doing that, and the origin point for us is Tony saying, ‘I am Iron Man.’ So everything will be years after that, years before that – to the Big Bang, which is where it starts! It will look very cool and complex like Doc Brown on a chalkboard by the time it’s published.

I can’t wait to see how they explain this.

If Tony’s dad and Cap are roughly the same age that constrains the timeline. We all know when WW2 was, and RDJ is like 50 years old. So it can’t be that far into the future.

Oh good, this was eating at me.

So I finally saw this over the weekend. I thought the first hour or so was kinda meh, but I really liked the last hour and by the end I found myself glad I had finally watched it. Way to much Tony Stark and Happy, to much Ned as well. But I guess they needed that build up to get to the end.

I did think the ferry scene was a little over the top. Okay, it was a lot over the top.

Over the top in a movie about a guy with the powers of a spider? Do tell. :)

And a guy in a flying suit…who da thunk it?

2 years later, I misread the thread title.

Disney owns Marvel, so this could totally happen!

End of line.

Don’t make me remind you about the natural web shooter scene. You know what I mean.

I rewatched this recently, and re-listened to the podcast, and here are my thoughts on the low-stakes nature of the storyline:

Any superhero can be brave when he doesn’t have any other choice: when the world is going to be destroyed, or when someone he loves is in danger. There’s not even a decision that needs to be made. In this movie, Peter can just choose to walk away with no consequences. No one is going to blame him, and the damage is honestly probably never going to affect him. But to sacrifice his own life and happiness just because he knows it’s the right thing to do…that’s the sign of a hero.

…and that’s what made the character so important for so long. With great power comes great responsibility, after all.

I never got the feeling that Spider-Man was all that powerful, so he probably only has a little responsibility anyway.

This is interesting. All the official Sony Spider-Man social media accounts have been updated to this:

Wouldn’t it be crazy if it took place in the Spirit Stone?

Didn’t we already know the title for a while? Or was that unofficial, and now it’s official?

It was the official title, now it has an official logo.

Ah ok. Well in that case, looking at the Logo, I really hate both fonts. What were they thinking with those fonts?

Edit: Looking at the OP in this thread, Homecoming’s second font was the same.