Spider-Man: Homecoming - Spider-Man and the MCU

Lies, there definitely was NOT enough Marisa Tomei in that trailer.

This looks like exactly what I was hoping it was going to be.

Oh, so we have a reverse hero’s journey into hero’s journey here. Fancy tricks, Sony writing team!

Snark aside, this looks real super good.

Reminds me, I still haven’t seen Civil War, guess I haven’t been properly “introduced” to this Spidey.

Holland is the best casting for Peter Parker yet. He just looks “right” for the part.

Don’t watch the new trailer. It spoils the whole movie.

It certainly does give away quite a few story beats.

However, I’m way more jazzed about this movie after watching the trailer than I was before watching it.

Hmm. Sony is now saying Spider-Man may not be shared after Homecoming’s sequel.

[quote]
One of the things that I think is so amazing about this experience is that you don’t have studios deciding to work together to make a film very often.

In fact, it may never happen again - after we do the sequel.

Because Sony and Disney and Marvel all decided that the right thing to do was to allow Peter Parker and Spider-Man to be in the MCU, and to work with the Marvel guys and have them produce this film, and I think that was a very rare thing for three companies to do and a very brilliant thing for them to decide to do because there are only so many stories that you know you can tell again and again and again about Spidey, and this is something that we would never been able to do in any other way. So, it was a very selfless thing that was very smart on the part of all the companies.[/quote]

Think there is some posturing going on, as original deal was for 6 films. The Civil War and Avengers Infinity movies and 2 spidey movies would only make 4.

Yeah, I honestly expect the Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable (seriously?) movie announcements are more about negotiations and bargaining pressure than they are about actually getting those made too.

I feel like I know the plot already after watching that trailer. This is meant to put people off watching the movie, right?

I doubt it?

Gat-dang. This is one terrible official poster.

This looks like direct-to-video garbage instead of a tentpole blockbuster.

Not enough Marisa Tomei.

Just stopped by to say: I know, right? Good lord.

I don’t get it. What’s wrong with it? Did we all hate this one, too?

I mean, I didn’t love it, but I’ve always found the “disembodied heads emerging from glowing portals over a landscape/spacescape” style of poster to be a little goofy. Yes, including the SW originals.

That’s busy, but composed with some intentionality and regard to things like coloring and composition. The Spider-Man looks like someone opened up the images folder in the press kit and just started copying and pasting them onto the canvas thoughtlessly.

My favorite part is that Michael Keaton is on the poster twice. As is Spiderman.

The TFA poster has great color and balance. Note how most of the blue is one side, while red is on the other. The red and blue sabers are positioned to create an arrow that helps draw the viewer upwards to the main character. The other characters are placed in a similar pyramid to help focus attention on Rey. Small elements like the ships and less important folks aren’t distracting. Instead, they are set around the center, again pulling the viewer in and up. Over it all looms the obvious bad guy. At the top left, but behind the heroes.

In contrast, this Homecoming poster is a jumble. If you didn’t know anything about it beforehand, it would be impossible to know who the bad guy should be. Is it Iron Man, or is he the main character? Birdman? Why is the monument sticking out of the harbor?