Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse

Saw it again.

Just am in awe of this film. It is such an artistic achievement. I sure do hope they make a sequel, although having it be one-of-a-kind is also kindof appealing.

Holy shit, this is amazing.

Spiderman is one of Marvel’s only truly archetypical heroes, in the way that Superman and Batman are, and this leans into that in an amazing way.

Also, the soundtrack is fire, as the kids say.

The Netflix version includes the post credits scene, which is also very great.

Just watched this. What a remarkable achievement. Best superhero move ever? In the conversation anyway. Just a fantastic movie all the way through.

I’ll agree with this. I really wasn’t interested- didn’t even watch the trailer. Can’t say why. But the good buzz here and other places made me watch it with my gal last night. But the animation was amazing, and there were literally dozens of laugh-out-loud moments. Really a great movie.

Hah, looks like I’m not the only one who watched this this weekend.

Mind was more or less blown by the visuals. I kind of feel like I just watched a new beautiful pop-art animation aesthetic that I think I wouldn’t mind if the next 20 years of animated film tried desperately to copy.

The story is, of course, normal comic book movie pap, but told well and loaded with funny visual and audio jokes. The big action ending gets a little repetitive with just the punching stuff, but the Lichtensteinian psychedelic backgrounds were still really fun to look at even when my attention would normally start wandering.

All in all, really dug it. 4 stars.

There have been a lot of comic book movies of late, but Into the Spider-Verse is pretty much the first moving comic book. In the same way that the Lego movies committed to the visual language of ‘everything is Lego’, it leaned hard into the comic book aesthetic, and they made something really special.

Wired did a bit with the artists/visual effects guys on the making-of, and it’s worth a watch.

To it’s credit though, (and this is why I prefer animated comic adaptations to live action ones in general), the punching was both dynamic and clearly communicated, no quick-cut/blurry nonsense.

But it’s appropriate, Spiderman always works best with hyper exaggerated movement, and isn’t much for close combat.

Interestingly, the Dragon Prince tried a somewhat similar thing with a low frame rate animation style, but didn’t execute on it as well, so it was quite noticeable (although they did revise after the first few episodes to the point that it worked much better). I’m impressed at how non-distracting the animation in Spiderverse was. Maybe a couple minutes of adjustment at the very beginning, but that’s it.

I’ll be the voice of dissension :)

The animation was superb but I found the story overly schmaltzy, mostly dull and the characters and dialog to be poorly written. I also thought that visually it was a bit too busy and in some places it was difficult to tell exactly what was going on.

Young Justice is still the high bar for me in terms of superhero animation. They manage to walk that fine line between avoiding schmaltz, maintaining a youthful and fun tone and still respecting their viewers intelligence.

Bagel!

When one of the scientists says “He took a bagel!” in horrified voice, I nearly died.

OMG and then they all pull out this massive arsenal because they’re all individually armed to the tooth. So freaking funny.

Clearly Fisk’s employees take their bread products very seriously.

As should anyone. Man stole a freaking bagel.

ValjeanApproves

-xtien

Followed by the excellent chase and escape scene, where the bagel is returned, and not without the sound effect “BAGEL!”

:)

It’s easy to miss at full speed, but when Miles lets go of the bagel, they draw motion lines behind his arm rather than motion blur.

Yeah they eschewed a bunch of techniques to give the film a more unique and comic book feel. Using motion lines instead of motion blur. Not quite for comic book effect but they also used that 3d like blur instead of depth of field.

They pull out the guns when they notice he’s Spiderman. The outraged “He took a bagel!” is when they’re already chasing him.

Evil Ms Frizzle is so awesome.