Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

Now we’ve got a title, so now we’ve got a thread.

Woo! The dueling “reveal” instagram posts yesterday were cute, as was this video. What a great core trio they put together

Ohhh this Christmas! Yay!

Normally I despise these type of reveal trailers, but that was adorably fun.

On one hand, we’re getting a bunch of Disney+ MCU content this year and in theory, three MCU films hitting theaters before No Way Home.

But it’s still a little surreal to be talking about the new Spider-Man film when the last MCU film released in theaters was the previous Spider-Man film.

HYPE.

Wait, what? That can’t be right. Is that right? Man, I can’t believe Spider-Man: European Vacay was the last theatrical release for a Marvel movie.

-Tom

That seemed wrong to me to.

But July 2nd 2019 isn’t that unbelievable. I do know post Endgame there was a gap until Black Widow. I wouldn’t be shocked if that still comes next, sometime in the summer/ fall.

It was. Came out in 2019, right after endgame.

Isn’t it Spider-Man: Homewrecker? /s

The release date might be a bit optimistic, let’s hope it’s not.

Spider-Man Homecoming was after Endgame, the only other 2019 MCU film. We were supposed to get Black Widow and Eternals last year, both are now on track for release this year.

I may not have accounted for all of the scheduling nuances, but I think we more or less ended up with the 2020 releases (Black Widow and Eternals) now combined with some planned 2021 releases for this year (Shang-Chi and Spidey), while some other 2021 releases (Thor 4, I think?) moved out further.

Anyway, May for Black Widow still seems iffy, but maybe they go for it at this point, and just live with the box office hit to releasing that early while hoping things improve quickly for the rest of the year’s releases.

Because I don’t like trailiers - the release date is currently December 17, 2021.

To be fair, it’s been about a two decades between July 2019 and February 2021. January 2021 alone was three years!

Because of COVID we’re getting four MCU movies this year and another four next year. You get a Marvel movie! You get a Marvel movie! EVERYONE GETS A MARVEL MOVIE!

It’s MARVEL-lous! Excelsior!

“When we were shooting it, we were all under orders not to talk about it, because it was supposed to be some great big secret,” Molina said with a laugh during an interview with Variety about his role in the Oscar-nominated “Promising Young Woman.” “But, you know, it’s all over the internet. I actually described myself as the worst kept secret in Hollywood!”

He said that he asked Watts how they were going to deal with the fact that at 67, he’s aged since the 2004 film.

“He just looked at me, and said, ‘Did you see what we did to Bob Downey Jr. and Sam Jackson?'” Molina said with a laugh. In 2016’s “Captain America: Civil War,” Marvel Studios used CGI to de-age Robert Downey Jr. to look as he did in 1991; and in 2019’s “Captain Marvel,” also set in the 1990s, a de-aged Samuel L. Jackson played a younger version of his character, Nick Fury.

Just a warning, there have been a few LEGO and Marvel Legends toy sets revealed in the last couple days for No Way Home. Nothing I’ve seen has spoiled anything other than casting news that we’ve known for a while, but sometimes toys leak things, so if you’re really spoiler-averse, be careful.

Personally I hope this means a trailer soon, but who knows!

The lego toys leak quite a lot - guest stars, set pieces, and plot points!

The LEGO toys specifically are very confusing. There are three sets, and they all have the logos and branding for No Way Home, but one of them has a small badge that says “Inspired by Marvel Studios’ Spider-Man: Far From Home” and another says “Inspired by […] Homecoming”.

Those sets include characters from those films but I would not take that to mean those characters will be in No Way Home. Only one of the three sets is actually “based” on the new film, and LEGO sets are often only very loosely based on actual set pieces from the films anyway. It’s the reveal of characters that I’d be worried about (which again, nothing we don’t already know from other casting announcements so far).

I’m sure we all remember 76008: Iron Man vs. The Mandarin: Ultimate Showdown. 🙂

So there’s nothing in the toys so far that ruins a big surprise, like when a LEGO set spoiled Ant-Man’s growing for Civil War. But we’ve definitely hit some point where toys and merchandise will be revealed more often, so there could be other stuff revealed. Or if you’re just sensitive and don’t want to know things like what the Spidey suit(s) will look like, though I’m sure the trailers will give that away eventually.

I know that laugh.

As far as the many casting rumors swirling around this, this teaser only hints at one rumored appearance. Nothing else shown that wasn’t explicitly confirmed in official casting announcements.