Spike Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are

That was test footage, and it is not actually from the film.

I could swear there was a trailer for it in front of something I saw recently, but maybe I’m imagining things. It’s also possible that it was one of those godawful First Look ads they play before the trailers proper.

Where the Meta Things Are :(

Myers did jack shit. The material had been in development under Brian Grazier for years with Tim Allen originally as the Cat; Myers stepped in when Allen stepped out.

It’s weird someone would have a problem with the Cat In the Hat movie. I mean, the movie was terrible, so there’s that, but it didn’t hurt the source material. That book was the very first one I finished as a kid learning to read, so naturally I have some pretty serious nostalgia surrounding it. But the movie did nothing one way or another to affect Dr. Seuss’ story. It did have one of the best guy-gets-hit-in-the-nuts scenes, though.

I love Adam Carolla’s take on the story.

It is fucking TERRIBLE!

Official trailer:

Looks promising to me. I’m a sucker for the Arcade Fire song Jonze chose here.

I am so looking forward to this as well. Hope it comes out how Jonze want’s it and not the studio.

Wow, that trailer looks really good.

Consider me very excited. Really like the look of the whole production.

Yeah … Great feel, great look.

I’m gonna’ roar.

Color me contrary, but I hate the trailer. The monsters don’t sound monstery, and in a work of fiction where the pivotal plot point is established through a staring contest, all that action looks stupidly out of place.

Eh, maybe Jonze and Eggers made the dream-like zen movie I want and the studio just edited together a generic action trailer. Maybe.

Holy crap, that is awesome. Too bad our four-year-old will be too young for it still, but man, it’ll be great to watch it with her in another couple of years…

The trailer is utterly extraordinary. I had high hopes, but, man, Jonze might just have his masterpiece here.

Looks awesome. That cut where he’s running in the dream land and then running in the middle of a snowball fight is amazing. Looks like great casting with that boy as well.

This looks awesome, though I’m not going to lie, I completely don’t remember the story behind the books, at all.

I guess I’m the odd one out, because that looks terrible. If they want to make a fantasy action adventure (which WtWTa is not), why not make up something that fits that mold, other than they want the “marketing penetration” the name gives? It reminds me of every other good story subverted with an eye primarily on selling toys to kids.

I dunno, maybe it’ll turn out to be great, but if so it won’t be because of any relationship to the nominal “source” material.

Looks fantastic to me. I love everything Jonze so it was an easy sell… but still.

So, when I first heard about this movie was coming out, I was excited. I don’t have specific memories of reading/having the story read to me as a kid, but I remember (most of) the story and the pictures, and I have fond associations with it. When I was on the phone with my mom some time back, I brought it up, because of those memories and because she’s a school librarian. The conversation went something like this:

“Hey, did you realize there’s a movie version of Where the Wild Things Are coming out?!”
“…you hated that book.”
“Uh, I did? Are you sure?”
“Yes.”
“Come on!”
“I didn’t understand it either!”

As mentioned previously, Spike actually switched studios for the film. This is a passion project for him.

Well, no studio executive is going to hand $100something million to Spike Jonze and Dave Eggers for a family film without ensuring a litany of licensing deals are in place. But that was not Jonze or Eggers’ intent for the project.

Well, Maurice Sendak was inspired to write a complementary book for the film. And he gave the film his stamp of approval.