Spintires - Old Soviet trucks, mud, a map, and a compass

This is pretty fun and does give you great sense of accomplishment when you do a simple thing like cross a river. Practically, though, I think I’ll wait until there is a Sorcerer mod that puts a few crates of nitroglycerin in the back of your truck that you must safely transport.

Anticipating wheel support and cockpit camera and i’m certain modders have some big ideas for this one. As is though, yet another why it’s worth to be a pc gamer in 2014

I want this SO BAD now.

So its like a dark souls version of euro truck simulator! :p

Bosses included are :
Mud
Deep Mud
Rivers
Narrow Bridges
Hills Too Steep

I came here to find out about wheel support. I hadn’t thought about first person perspective. I wonder how well it would work though. Don’t you need the third person view to get a feel for the mud? It seems like watching the effects of that is a big part if the fun.

Having played it, my initial reaction to the lack of wheel support has gone. It’s incredibly rare to get above 15 miles per hour and the most crucial factor is diff lock, not steering angle, and diff lock is fine on a button. I may not play this with a wheel even when wheel support is launched.

As for the camera, the implementation is weird and a bit floaty, but I’m not clamouring for a cockpit view either. I think in real life I’d spend my entire time driving these things leant halfway out the driver’s window looking down at the tyres and the surface. You really need to be able to see what’s going on with the surface and so the third person view makes sense.

After playing for a while my feeling was that this was less a driving sim and more a driving puzzle game - asking you to work out how to put together your collection of vehicles to have fuel and repairs and winches in the right places to help you get your load through to the objective. But having read xahlt’s post, I think he’s nailed it - this is indeed a survival horror game for trucks.

I accidentally drove into the cell-shaded Borderlands 2 area of the map last night.

I also found an actual genuine paved road. I wasn’t sure what to make of that, so went back into the mud, got carried away by a river and wedged under a bridge.

Thread needs more pics. :)

Yeeeeehaw!! Tom’s Spintires review: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/07/24/spintires-going-dont-need-roads/#more-32225

I put this back on my radar after Tom’s post in the best games from the first half of the year. I suspect it will be a nice moody experience.

From watching videos, the only thing I wish they did differently is give you a weathered terrain map and make you do your own orienteering. I’d like that better than the cheesy fog of war. Anyway, don’t mind me.

I have two questions!

1. The shortcut key for WINCH is F. When I push F, nothing happens. Especially not MY TRUCK GETTING OUT OF SOVIET MUD.
  2. Who wants to play coop with me this weekend? What does coop even DO.

As I understand it, you hit F (or V or whatever the hotkey is) to activate the winch function, at which point you have to select a winch point on your vehicle and click on it. Then you click on what you want to winch it to, and the winch menu will open so you can begin REMOVE TRUCK FROM MUD OF GLORIOUS SOVIET UNION.

Thank you comrade! When I receive my weekly ration I will share my dried fruit with your children!

My experience with multiplay is that player one rolls the log truck off a bank, loses the load and the ends up upside down in the truck, wedged under a bridge. Then player two comes out with the rescue truck, rolls that into the river and ends up upside down, wedged under the same bridge.

Then you drink vodka and slowly drown together.

It’s like a Russian version of a Japanese dating sim.

Very much humors and lols!

Glorious logs are my first load of resources for the motherland!

Screenshot capture program must have been designed by decadent westerners.

The game looks crazy…I’ve been wanting to get it for a long time, especially based on the write-ups you guys do - so awesome!

It was on sale 40% off till yesterday. D:

The fruit of the land, visible at last!