Spintires' story of machines vs nature is unlike any caRPG you've ever played

God has abandoned us and all we can do is continue this pointless, excruciating activity he forced on us before he left. This is the video game version of Camus' Myth of Sisyphus.

"These trucks are on their own. They have no drivers. You cannot angle
the camera to look into the cab and see an expressionless character
model with his hands perched fingerlessly on the wheel. You will never
see a person in this game. People simply don’t exist anymore, or
they’ve gone far away. These wildernesses are as empty and still as a
crashed server. You won’t see a plane flying overhead. Another car
won’t pass you on the road."

I think it's a metaphor for Soviet institutions and infrastructure in the post-Soviet world.

Werner Herzog's Spintires.

I had expected to see more Sorcerer/Wages of Fear mentions in this review.

Spincarraldo

Spintires...
*gets up and walks out of interview*

Beautiful, poetic review, considering the subject matter.

"In four-wheel drive, with the differential gears unlocked so all the
tires spin no matter what, you can power through most situations."

I think you got this backward. Open differential is more efficient, and locked is for low traction. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...

That's not a typo; the game features an Irishman who will carry you across the mud on his back.

I think you're right. If there's one thing I know worse than math, it's car talk!

Format problem?
"Forests, mountains, rivers – excellent visuals"

Games that others rate with a score of 7 or higher is rated by him with a 4.
Games that others rate with an average 6.6, is rated by him with a 10.

Chick.... as confrontational as ever.... sigh

You know, don't think I missed the Royal Tennenbaums reference.

Spintires was written in an obsolete vernacular.

I played this again, yesterday (should I get Mud Runners? Does it add much?) I never went full into Spintires. Also, I noticed they patched driver models into the game, no more survival horror for trucks?
Also, I want a mode where you transport a box of dynamite … I imagine this could go horribly wrong.

After Tom streamed Mud Runners last week, it made me realize one thing that this review didn’t: this game is gorgeous. The mud, the huge tires on all the vehicles, the ponds you drive through, and best of all, the black smoke that these vehicles regurgitate into the world and so lovingly rendered. It’s almost as if the game is making a statement about how we’re ruining this beautiful landscape with our diesel-fueled thick black smoke.

ah the winches… he he

Ok, this literally made me laugh out loud.

Awwwwww yyyyeeeahhhhh booyyyeeee

Also on Steam. Should I try it??

I think this game got a special thing to pull you in. I grabbed the new version, and it is so absorbing, while asking me to do the most mundane tasks - in an extraordinary environment, arguably.
Runs as smooth as the previous version, if it’s anybody’s concerns: it is still one of the fluidest experience on my craptop.

IMPROVISE! ADAPT! OVERCOME!

when did this thing where games get boiled down to 3 words all the time start?

BUILD! EXPLORE! FIGHT!

this style of promotion seems to be ridiculously prevalent lately. and very daft. you ever bought a game because of 3 descriptive words?