Spire of Sorcery - From Russia with Love

I remember TWS…sounded so cool… :(

Shut up you two! It’s not dead goddamn, it!

/sniff

No, not dead, just…sleeping. :P

Blog Entry #02 – Your Character

Sounds great!

Yeah, that sounds like a really good design. Ambitious and original, but it also sounds more like the plan of an experienced game maker than That Which Sleeps.

Blog Entry #3 - Maps and Quests

Still don’t understand what the basic structure/format of the game is supposed to be.

I suspect it’s going to have a real-time simulated world top layer with pause and an underlying strategic layer where no time passes. Kind of like X-Com except without the additional tactical battle layer. Or, perhaps more like Fallout Shelter, mechanically, with disciples showing up on your Spire’s doorstep instead of vault dwellers. We’ll see.

Entirely possible. But would be nice to know, don’t you think? I could also see it being more like a turn-based think where time is measured in days and you click a button to make a day pass, or what have you.

The below part of the current Blog is what makes me think it’s going to be at least partly real-time:

Observation layer, i.e. the area that you can observe in real-time: firstly, around your own Spire – this is the zone where you see other parties coming and going as they move over the map (for example, adventurers or regular armies); this zone can be expanded with certain spells and/or upgrades to the Spire; and then, once you learn the corresponding far-seeing spells, you are also able to open such ‘observation zones’ in other places on the map by performing certain rituals (see below).

Yeah, I read that. And you are probably right. I generally don’t play real-time stuff, but with pause it might be ok.

Never mind - removed

Character States Blog:

From this, I get the impression that to a large extent this is a leadership sim. Lots of games cast you as leader, but your external actions as leader are usually the subject of the game – what to research, where to attack, etc. Your leadership itself is abstracted. But here, the player will be dealing with the nitty gritty of leadership.

Sounds promising and interesting, but very ambitious with lots of possible pitfalls, the most basic of which handling the split in focus. Each part has to matter, and each has to be interesting. But this could turn out to be something great.

Traits Blog:

Continuing to look very, very interesting. Really quite different from any other game I remember. The mechanics of the game are quite different from a computer RPG, but it sounds to me as though he is aiming for something that is much more like role-playing than the genre has gone. And despite the backdrop of sorcery, somewhat based in realism. What keeps coming to mind as I read this is a simulation of being a Martin Luther, distant from a central authority that threatens to eliminate you, but most concerned with the nitty gritty of developing your own movement.

This has become my most anticipated game in the pipeline.

Skills Blog:

With each new blog it becomes more and more apparent just how massive the ambition of the devs is. If they can pull all of this off it could be an amazing game.

I don’t know why but I can no longer embed links directly into my replies (so that the graphic shows). Now, as soon as I paste a link like the one in my post directly above, the “Reply” button at the bottom of the message disappears and I can’t post it. This was not the case previously. Has something changed with Discourse lately?

Working for me on mobile. I know they were tweaking code relating to size of things. Maybe that broke some with your browser

Thanks. I was able to edit my post above and get it to take the link by using ctrl+enter even though the button was still missing. I’ll try using a different browser and see if it still happens. Weird.